GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Nuvi 750 can't display California Topo Map

Started by flashlight, January 11, 2009, 01:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flashlight

I have a NUVI 750, and would like to use it hiking in the SF Bay Area, so I very carefully followed the instructions on http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/ and also http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/28/ to download the California Topo map, and then using my USB connection, installed Bay Area selected maps on my Garmin Nuvi. 

Well, using TOOLS / SETTINGS / MAP / MAP INFO I can see TWO identical entries listed as "California TOPO' with the grid numbers I selected, in addtion to Garmin's "City Navigator North America NT 2009"  However, no matter what I select or fail to select, I cannot see anything that looks like a topo map.  If I select all of them, or the Garmin map, I get my normal "street" map view.  If I select only one of the Topo maps, I don't get any topo info, I simly get a stripped -down (no details) mostly blank view of my area, just showing Highway 101 and some nearby towns, and the Bay, .... no details of any sort.  I've installed a 4Gig SanDisk SDHC card, but on checking the card - there are no files on it.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks!

flashlight

Hmmm - thanks.  I fired up MapSource.exe and re-selected SF Bay Area Counties, all of which had numbers (not names), turning all those boxes pink - as the directions indicted.  I turned off "autoname" and called the package "Bay Area Topo", and downloaded it to my Nuvi 750.  Well, the old downloaded string of numbered parcels disappeared.  Now I have 3 choices - the first two are identical:  

1. California Topo [1] Bay Area Topo
2. California Topo [1] Bay Area Topo
3. City Navigator North America NT 2009

I'm at the same point: If I check all three maps, I get the "standard street map" - no topo.
If I only check one Topo - I get minimal (only highway) roads - no topo data.  
If I check both Topos - I get more roads - but no topographics.

Hmm - all of this is going into my Nuvi 750, (I don't know where) as my SanDisk 4Gig SDHC card has no files on it at all.     Idea:  There has to be some way to "erase" what I've put on the Nuvi 750 - how do I do that?  Then maybe I can insist on MapSource.exe install my stuff on the SanDisk 4 Gig card.  Maybe that would work.  ????

Thanks!

flashlight

Success!

First off, on the forum, I spotted a very brief reference to Ibycus maps.  Internet searching lead me to comments from posters that IbycusTopo21.zip was a great new topo map, and the author had been working on a USA topo map.  I spent more than an hour downloading it, and installing it, finding the massive 3Gig ZIP file created a larger topo map for Canada.  Oops.  Canada wasn't what I wanted. 

I then used Garmin's MAPSOURCE.EXE and the already installed California Topo files (in the same C:\Garmin subdirectory) to re-select SF Bay Area sectors, and I this time installed it NOT DIRECTLY ON THE NUVI 750 but instead on my Sandisk 4Gig HDCD mini-disk, which was already inserted in the Nuvi (which happened to by drive J: on my computer), using my USB cable connection.  This time, when I fired up my GPS, I selected ALL the maps, and the Topo lines appeared right along with my normal Street names and other features. 

Thanks! :D

-Oz-

And had I popped by I would have confirmed.

Glad to hear you got it working.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!