GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Missing counties in Ibycus USA

Started by Brainguy, June 26, 2010, 09:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brainguy

After downloading and opening Ibycus USA, I found a gap in the map, multiple counties wide, just where I happen to live.  Before I try downloading again, does anyone know of a list of missing counties in the map, or specifically, whether Trempealeau county, WI, is included in the map?

Thanks!
Cheers!

maps4gps

Except for the county lines; it looks like and entire 1x1 degree  area has no data.

For my info; why the Ibycus mapset and not one of the others which cover that area?

Brainguy

It's a little complicated, so I'll try to be as clear as possible...

I've been using OSM World Routable maps from Lambertus, and unfortunately, the compiler used by Lambertus has a problem compiling the three states of Wisconsin/Minnesota/Iowa at within the same gmapsupp file, without omitting cities or blocks of map data.  As a result, I have to use individual maps for the three areas, but all of the maps load into my Garmin computer programs as "OSM World Routable."  This means that I cannot compile all of my individual OSM Routable maps into a single gmapsupp file, and as a result, cannot have all of them on my GPSr at the same time.  I live in the junction between the three states listed above, and frequently need to switch maps while out touring.

I thought that having the Ibycus USA file would be a nice solution to my problem.  Because Ibycus loads into BaseCamp (Mapsource) as a different file than my OSM Routable, I can compile both into the same gmapsupp file for my GPSr, and switch to Ibycus out on the road when necessary.  Alas, Ibycus seems to be missing map info in a location central to my cycling patterns.

Cheers!

maps4gps

One of many issues with the OSM data/delivery.

You should be able to test your idea using the (my) US Planimetric - North Central mapset.  The Tri-State area is included in that one file.  The Census data is two years newer than that in the Ibycus mapset and includes data from other sources.
Topo mapsets are also available for the three States. 

Brainguy

Thanks for the suggestion, and for the wonderful maps!

I downloaded the North Central Planimetric map, and just as you've suggested, this seems to be a great solution to my issue.

Cheers!

Boyd

Which GPS do you have? Some of them allow multiple .img files.