GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Lost of signal occurances?

Started by MichaelJ07, June 26, 2010, 05:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelJ07

I was wondering if anyone has had a major issue with their modern GPSr's losing a signal.  Lately, a couple friends mentioned their loss while hunting.  I have never lost a signal while hunting or any other time so I'm hoping I'm in the majority.

Just wondering....

Mike
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Seldom

Depends on satellite visibility.  I lose signal all the time when I'm on a canyon wall.

heyyou325

Not sure of your definition of modern, but my GPSmap 76 CS will lose signal and then in a few seconds regain it on a freeway, in a boat on an open lake, on a tractor in the middle of a field,or going thru the timber on a four wheeler.  Unless I'm in real dense timber or under a metal roof (the tractor if I'm not careful) it always comes right back.  I have friends with GPSmap60, nuvi, and the new radio, can't remember what they are, and they all do that.

Boyd

In my experience, "modern" units lose signal pretty rarely. My first GPS was a DeLorme EarthMate, circa 1996 followed by  Magellan Meridian Gold a couple years later. They were pretty finicky and easily lost signal. But I thought the fact that they worked *at all* was so cool that I didn't mind.  :)

Later (2003?) I got a Garmin Legend C followed by a StreetPilot 2620 and they had similar signal lock issues. A few years later I got a 60csx and the difference was dramatic - it rarely lost signal. This was followed by a Nuvi 650 around 2006 and it was very good as well.

Ever since then, it has gotten better and better - much faster initial signal acquisiton with "hotfix" receivers. My Oregon is the champ for handheld use with the new firmware. Never thought I would see it happen, but it has surpassed the 60csx in terms of accuracy - especially under heavy tree cover - here's an example. I walked over the same narrow trails a number of times carrying both units. Look how much tighter the track pattern is on the Oregon:

MichaelJ07

Good replies.  Thanks.

I guess by modern, I meant some unit bought within the last 3 or 5 years.

I don't really use my device as much as you folks.  Not many canyon walls in Michigan, but we do have some canopy.  Yet, that happens in the summer and if the signal DOES go away for a moment, it's only the mosquitoes carrying it off.  :)

It's just that I've heard a couple stories from friends and wanted to hear from this group as they are way more experienced than we are.

I like my 60csx and believe it will be a nice addition to my map and compass.

Nice comparison between the Oregon and the 60csx.

Mike
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.