GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Global Mapper: Unknown error exporting Polish MP file

Started by savage, January 10, 2009, 04:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savage

Any ideas on what could cause that error? I am trying to build a combined map (MA/VT/NH) and I get those errors in the middle of the map. I am missing 4 or 5 rectangles. All the other MP files seem good.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

savage

Yes it says Unknown. I am trying to see if I can find something. Talk about a needle in a hay stack!

My rectangles are numbered:

A1 .. A5
I1 .. I5

And I get an error on:

D2
E1 E2 E3
F1 F2 F3
  G2

All the other rectangles appear to be ok.

-Oz-

That reall is the worst error message ever.

What is the same throughout those that isn't the same in any of the others?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

savage

I think the "Unknown error" might be a "not enough memory" type of error. I am now trying a different process:

- I am combining all the files except the elevation files to generate intermediate .MP files. This process seems to work OK. I have now generated the MP files where before I got my 'Unknown error'. So we know the "Unknown error" is not because of bizarre data in the GNIS/Transportation/etc files.

- When this is done I will combine the .MP files above with the elevation data to generate the final MP files.

This process will use less memory because when I bring in the elevation data (already split in smaller rectangles) I won't have in memory all the GNIS/Transportation/Water/etc files already loaded.

From what I can see, it looks like GM loads only the files it needs.

Stay tuned...

aussieskier

Quote from: savage on January 11, 2009, 02:16:50 PM
I think the "Unknown error" might be a "not enough memory" type of error. I am now trying a different process:

- I am combining all the files except the elevation files to generate intermediate .MP files. This process seems to work OK. I have now generated the MP files where before I got my 'Unknown error'. So we know the "Unknown error" is not because of bizarre data in the GNIS/Transportation/etc files.

- When this is done I will combine the .MP files above with the elevation data to generate the final MP files.

This process will use less memory because when I bring in the elevation data (already split in smaller rectangles) I won't have in memory all the GNIS/Transportation/Water/etc files already loaded.

From what I can see, it looks like GM loads only the files it needs.

Stay tuned...

I took a look around the GM forum and it would appear that most likely that is a memory. I think it tops out at 2gigs in 32bit windows but can use up to 4 gigs in 64bit.

Perhaps look at the coordinates of the pieces missing and and export them from GM via lat/lon bounds to those coordinates?

-Oz-

It definitely dies at 2gb for me.

I do it exactly like that now.

I use DOS to combine the new, with the copy binary tag.  It has never failed me yet.

I only put the dictionary header in the one with all the elements (gnis, roads, etc) and then I have a blank header made up (with nothing) that I put in the one with the topo.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!