GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Stacking order of maps in Nuvi

Started by jlgull, June 21, 2010, 08:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlgull

I am new to the GPS world and I have a Nuvi 1390T with a 4gb SD card.

I live in AZ and found the AZ TOPOs on this web site. I moved them into MapSource and installed them on my Nuvi.

The problem I have is that I seem to only have 2 choices when I go to switch maps. Is there a way to have the AZ Topos in one folder on the SD card and other Garmin supplied maps in a seperate folder.

The Nuvi only has about 50 Mb to put maps in anyway, so I have to do something.

Boyd

The "stacking order" of the maps has nothing to do with the files or their location. It is hard-coded into the map by the author. And I don't understand how that relates to your question about file location.  ???

However, there is no problem using multiple map files on your 1390T, and they can be on either the card or internal memory. If you used Mapsource to install in internal memory, look in the \Garmin folder for a file named gmapsupp.img. If you don't see it there, look in the \Map folder for a file of the same name (the 1390 is a little different from older models).

I have a 1350t, but have not used it with Mapsource. On this series, the pre-installed maps are hidden from the user. If you still can't find gmapsupp.img, it may be in the hidden folder. You will need to set your computer to show BOTH hidden files AND protected operating system files to access the hidden folder, which is named .System.

On a microSD memory card, create a folder in the root directory named Map. Now copy the gmapsupp.img file containing the AZ topo to your computer, and give it a more descriptive name, such as arizona.img - but it MUST have the .img file extension. Don't use anything but letters and numbers in the filename (no blank spaces).

Now copy this file the the Map folder on the memory card and you will be good to go. You can use a similar technique for any other maps you want to add. Load them with Mapsource, find gmapsupp.img, rename the file to something descriptive, and add it to the Map folder. You can have as many of these as you like on the memory card.