GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

AZ topo map by OZ

Started by Super Dave, June 19, 2010, 05:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Dave

I put the az topo map on my Garmin E-trek vista hcx and all is fine EXCEPT how do I
make the map spell out the street names in Tucson. On mapsource the names are
spelled out but on the unit it just has the first letter of each word? Ideas?

Thanks Super Dave (going to AZ in two weeks)

Boyd

This is a known issue with the cgpsmapper compiler, and there is no way to fix it unfortunately. If you use mixed case street names in your source file, the older Garmin handheld units will not display them correctly. So if the road is named "John Smith Rd", on your GPS you would see "J--- S---- R-".

Newer GPS'es, such as the Oregon, Dakota and Nuvi series, will display the street names correctly. Older models, such as the eTrex or 60csx will have the same problem you describe. The only way to fix this is for the author to recompile the map using all UPPERCASE characters in the street name.

I spent awhile on several different occasions looking for a fix for this myself and had no luck. My own map of New Jersey on this site has the same problem. I say that this is a cgpsmapper bug, and not a Garmin bug, because mixed case street names display correctly if I compile the same sourcefile with Mapwel instead of cgpsmapper. And Garmin's own maps don't have this problem either.

This is unfortunate, but as a user there isn't anything you can do.  >:(

-Oz-

grr, forgot this error still existed.  I'll see if a new version of cgpsmapper is out there otherwise I'll have to recompile with all caps.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!