Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Converting .tpo file to Garmin

Started by TeleBruce, June 17, 2010, 08:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeleBruce

Hello,
First post here.
I have a 60csx, and use National Geographic Topo.
I have several maps created with that program that are in .tpo format.
Is it possible to convert them to .img files so I can load the maps on the 60csx?
Normally, I would use NG Topo to load the routes and waypoints onto the gps, and carry a paper map to compare.

Also - is there an application available that will allow me to draw in routes and add waypoints to a donwloaded topo, then load the custom map onto the  60csx?

If these topics have been asked here before, please forgive me for asking, you can direct me to the appropriate link/thread.
Thank you for the assistance.

eaparks

Quote from: TeleBruce on June 17, 2010, 08:01:12 PMAlso - is there an application available that will allow me to draw in routes and add waypoints to a donwloaded topo, then load the custom map onto the  60csx?

Instead of adding to someone else's exisiting map, it would probably be better in the long run for you to create your own custom map with the routes (lines) and waypoints (points) that you want on your custom map and make it to appear transparent (meaning - to appear at the same time/along with any other maps).  This would make it easier to update your custom map over time, also giving you the option of displaying either of the maps by themselves or both together.

TeleBruce

thank you, I'll research that on the site and figure out how to do it.

Boyd

.tpo files are not maps. They consist of information that you (the user) have added to the map - see page 20 of your manual.

If you really want to use National Geographic maps on a GPS, you might consider getting a Magellan Triton. You can export the full maps (which are scans of USGS 100k and 24k topo's) to the Triton and they look very nice. You can probably find some good deals on a Triton since they really never caught on. I have a Triton 1500 and just recently put some of the National Geographic maps on it.

I also have several Garmin GPS'es. The 60csx is an older model and doesn't have all the features of newer Garmin units. The newer Garmin's can using something called "custom maps" which you can make from scans or downloads of paper maps. This is how you can use USGS topo maps on a Garmin unit - I have posted several examples here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/282/

I have not tried yet myself, but since National Geographic can export GeoTIFF files, it should be possible to use this feature to make your own Garmin Custom Maps this way. But again, you would need a newer unit such as the Oregon, Colorado, Dakota, GPSMap 78 or 62 for this capability.