GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Waypoints in MS not showing in 60CSx

Started by DrRon, June 17, 2010, 07:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRon

I used GPS Visualizer to draw a hiking route and convert the image to a GPX file.
Then I converted the file to a GDB format using GPSBabel.
Here's the reference site:
http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/
I open the resulting map in MS and set waypoints along the drawn track.  The track and waypoints show up beautifully and are clearly contained in the other data boxes on the left menu.
I save the GDB file, using the appropriate topo map section to save it, then load it on my data card in my USB reader, with the map and data boxes checked.
I put the card in my 60CSx, show the map section and expect to see the route waypoints, but don't.  I set waypoints at the start and end of the track with the 60CSx function and they are there.  But the waypoints and track data I see in MS and "loaded" with the map section are not.
What am I missing here?
Shouldn't what I see in MS and load onto my topo map show up on my 60CSx, no matter how I built the track and waypoints?

Boyd

I'm a little confused over what you are doing. What do you mean by the "appropriate map section"? The map has nothing to do with waypoints or routes, they are separate types of data. Waypoints can be displayed on any map.

Your 60csx does not recognize GDB files, or any files on the sd card except the map itself. What you need to do is use the transfer > send to device menu in Mapsource. Make sure that mapsource recognizes your 60csx, and make sure you only check the waypoints and routes options in the dialog box.

This is the only way to send tracks/routes/waypoints to your GPS. It cannot read from from a file on the sd card.

Jimbob

GDB are data base files that are not used by the GPSr, but are used by mapsource and basecamp. they are simply a file that contains data to make up a something else. for example a complete mapset that you might have used in the past. by having the GDB file you can easily reassemble the map set. A set of waypoints/tracks can also be saved this way. Remember when saving tracks to your unit you can only have 20 individual tracks saved.
Waypoints & tracks are not saved as part of a map and cannot be added to same. They can however be uploaded to the GPSr by selecting them and they will then be displayed along with any loaded maps.

DrRon

OK, man have I got a lot to learn...
Let's see if I got this right:
The track and waypoint data can only be loaded into the GPS directly, not onto the SD card.
So I connected my 60CSx up, called up the GBD file in MS with the waypoint and track data showing, said to transfer only the waypoint and track data, not map, and said OK.
The data went fast, then the unit turned off.
I disconnected the unit, fired it up, went to find the waypoints, saw them all, picked one and choose map, and what do you know - it showed up.  BUT MY TOPO MAP DIDN'T!  Went to setup and NONE of my topo maps are there!  I thought MS left your maps alone if you only transfer the other data...
Anyway, I went to tracks and they are there, and will display OK.
But, don't the waypoints display as well?  Do I only get to see them on the map one at a time by "finding" them?
I'd like to display a track with the waypoints on it all together.  Can't I do that?
That's how MS shows it...
OK, maybe I need to go read the book again and calm down.  Sorry for that, but I've really spent a lot of time loading 3 GB of topo maps on my SD card.  Bear with me, please.

DrRon

OK, I'm stupid. :-\
Late last night - early this morning, when I was learning the lesson about ALL map images loading onto ONE file on my SD card, I had to reload the card map file.
Then, when I wanted to try loading the waypoint and track data, thinking it went on the card too, I changed cards to protect myself...  that card was still in the unit, so I'm good on my topo maps.
Putting the original, full topo map card back in the unit, I can see everything is still there.
But, it looks like I can call up a track or a single waypoint, but not both.  Is that right?
If so, I can display the track when hiking, but not navigate from waypoint to waypoint except one at a time, without showing the track.  Is that right?
Also, when I see the option to log a track to the data card in the Track Setup menu, does that save the track to the card.  If so, am I still limited to 20 tracks?
I sure hope I'm not the only newbie getting some benefit from this post... ???

MichaelJ07

Quote from: DrRon on June 17, 2010, 04:52:16 PM
OK, I'm stupid. :-\

I sure hope I'm not the only newbie getting some benefit from this post... ???

I was stupid WAY before you!  And yes, this newbie got some benefits from your post.

Mike
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

eaparks

Here is a site that gives a lot of good "How To" information for the 60CSx.  http://www.gpsfaqs.org/faqs/garmin/xseries/g60csx/

alpine

By the way a GBD file is not a route. If you have a GPSr that does routes you have to make and save them as a GPX.

To further confuse you, a track may be saved as a GPX file, but you will have to redraw the track as a route to use it as a route. And we will not even get into the difference between a way point and a via point.

So is that clear as mud?

Boyd

Not completely clear regarding your question about showing waypoints and tracks, but see if this helps. Press Menu > Menu > Setup > Map. Now choose the icon on the top with the squiggley line - this controls how tracks are displayed. The defaults will be "auto". But you can choose different values for saved tracks and the current track log. You you choose 500ft for the current track (for example), that means your track will show on the screen when you zoom in to the 500ft scale or closer. If you zoom out to 800ft or higher, the track will not show on the screen.

Now use the cursor button to choose the icon that looks like a flag. This allows the same control over waypoints as described above for tracks. Be sure you set the waypoint and track values to something which will allow them to show at the zoom scale you plan to use.

DrRon

By Jove that did it!
They all show together now!
You are my hero!
Honestly, thanks for the help.  You guys here are just the best.
I appreciate it a lot.
Ron