News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How to make a Garmin 3D-topomap

Started by arash, June 08, 2010, 04:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arash

Hello all
I'm new to this forum. I want to know how to make a 3D topomap for Garmin GPSr. I can make my 2D topomaps but I like to make a 3D one for my Dakota 20 (just like those for US)

Boyd

There is no way to currently make these yourself. The only way to put 3d data into a map is with Garmin's own proprietary tools.

However, if you have a map that contains DEM data, and enable it at the same time as your own regular Garmin map, the DEM data will "bleed throug". In other words, you will see the shaded terrain overlaid on your own map by just enabling both maps at the same time.

arash

Thanks. is there any way to embed my own DEM data to my costume "img" map ? How to embed?

Boyd

we don't understand the format of the data that Garmin uses, so there would be no way to embed your own.

http://gpstracklog.com/2010/06/mapsource-product-creator.html

Boyd

Wow - that is fascinating, I didn't think we could get MPC. Guess I will look into the free trial... but it isn't very likely that I will be willing to pay $5,000 even if eligible. I am very curious as to what I might be missing there however.

Also, I did some googling, and it does appear to be possible to rip the DEM from a (legally purchased) Garmin map for your own personal use. There are some detailed (although confusing) instructions along with screenshots on a Spanish site and Google Translate seems to do a pretty good job.

I don't think this is really appropriate for the forums here however, since it would involve modification of somebody else's intellectual property, so I will not post a link.

Boyd

Well here's a really easy way to make a 3d topo map in an area that Garmin supports. Just get a Nuvi 3790, disable City Navigator and enable your topo. Mission accomplished.  ;D

The DEM data is contained in a separate map file that can be enabled/disabled like any other map. As a bonus, you also get 3d buildings. See: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?whichpage=27&TOPIC_ID=134671&

Image thanks to Rick James at GPSPassion.com

Boyd

Quote from: Boyd on July 05, 2010, 12:50:47 PM
Guess I will look into the free trial... but it isn't very likely that I will be willing to pay $5,000 even if eligible. I am very curious as to what I might be missing there however.

This is a bit OT, but in case anybody else is interested, I received a response from Garmin regarding my request for the free MPC trial. It was very polite, but said they must "regrettably decline" because my "products" contain the same information used in their own City Navigator North America and 24k Topo maps.

So, in other words, it appears they will not license MPC to anyone who wants to make maps of the US. That doesn't surprise me, and I don't really blame them. But I thought it was worth a try anyway...

maps4gps

Three years ago, Roger at AbovetheTimber told me that on his second telephone conversation with Garmin he told them he was interested in doing US maps and that after that they refused to talk with him.