GPSFileDepot.com

Can't load maps from "USStatesandCounties" into GPSMapEdit

Started by John P, July 07, 2010, 06:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John P

I tried getting the map set placed here by Oz, but my edition of GPSMapEdit (version 0.99b, a freeware version) refuses to load any of the maps. Here's an example of the error message that it produces. Should I expect this to happen with this software?

Edited to say, the maps in the "Northeast topo" series load to GPSMapEdit just fine. So it's not that I have software that doesn't work.

--------------------------

Loading data from file 'C:\Program Files\GPS\IMG maps\Northeast\USStatesandCounties\54881258.img'...
* Block size:   1024
* Updated:   2008/07
WARNING: The file header contains incorrect data offset field.
ERROR: loading has terminated.
1 warning(s).
Load time is 0.00 s.

Boyd

What were you trying to do with the maps in GPSMapEdit. Generally, this site discourages the modification of another mapmakers work without their permission...

John P

Who said anything about editing? I just wanted to see what was in the files, and GPSMapEdit is the program I usually use to look at IMG files. I've had no problems with files that are part of the Northeast Topo United States series, so I was wondering what's incompatible with the USStatesandCounties ones.

Oh, I suppose the use of GPSMapEdit maybe makes it look as if I actually do want to edit stuff. No, just take a look. It usually works fine for that purpose.

Thanks for the pointer to the map creation tutorial.