GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

ArcGIS to Garmin GPS

Started by PHeller, June 01, 2010, 01:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHeller

I'm a GIS technician for a local land trust. My job is part map maker, part trail designer.

I've informed my organization about the possibility of developing downloadable maps that the users of our properties could get from our website. These maps would contain property boundaries, trails, geocache locations, POIs, etc.

The problem is, I can't for the life of me get through this custom map making process. When I try, I don't hit just one problem, I seem to hit multiple problems.

I've got ArcGIS 9.3, cgpsmapper, GPSMapEdit, MapSource, GPSBabel, DNRGarmin, OziExplorer, and probably several other linked programs from the tutorials.

My main problem is this, I can get a .GPX file into MapSource, but I can't seem to make any maps. Everything I do ends up as tracks.

Could someone summarize the process for me?

Or maybe that's my problem. Maybe there are so many small little details that need to be changed that I'm messing up just one piece of a larger puzzle. I'm working on the clock and skimming the tutorials, which could be error-prone.

Seldom

This is not a good thing to try to learn while you are trying to be billable. The tutorials need lots of attention.

What do you mean by "custom maps", homemade vector based maps, or raster based satellite imagery?

Assuming you mean vector maps, between ArcGIS, GPSMapEdit, and cgpsmapper you should be able to do just about anything you need to, but since Global Mapper exports to direct to MP, that would help (but it's not cheap). 

Export your map components from ArcGIS as shapefiles, and import them into GPSMapEdit.  Use GPSMapEdit to write your MP file.

Extremely thorough, step by step tutorials available at the top of this page.

A broad brush tutorial from elsewhere, below:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~creek/garmin.htm

PHeller

Yes I was speaking of vector maps. None of the units I have access to support rasters.

My organization has many properties of varying sizes. For our uses, it would be nice to grab a GPS unit with a basemap of all the trails, property boundaries, and POIs across the county. We don't need roads, but it'd be nice. We don't need anything outside of the county (because the units never leave it).

Seldom

If you are inclined to follow some twisted threads, I outline a quickie method of getting tracklogs to MP files here:
http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,1015.0.html

And you'll see the sorts of things that go wrong when people try to follow my advice here:
http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,1205.0.html

These are no substitute for a decent tutorial though.

PHeller

I am still struggling with this.

For the life of me I cannot get my ArcGIS map maps to show in my 60Csx.

I'm following at least some of the directions correctly because the maps appears in MapSource, but don't on my GPS.

Seldom

Can't help you unless you answer the questions I already asked you here:

http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,1300.0.html

Boyd

You might also have a look at Mapwel: http://mapwel.eu/ It is the most user-friendly tool for making Garmin vector maps. It should be able to import .gpx and .shp files from ArcGIS and turn them into maps pretty easily, and the user-defined styles feature will let you customize their appearance. It can also show a pretty accurate representation of what the map will look like on the 60csx. It is an all-in-on solution that doesn't require cgpsmapper to compile the .img file.

The free download is fully functional on the computer, but it will not send a complete file to your GPS unless you purchase a license.

PHeller

I am selecting the maps correctly because when I use the NETopo100 maps I can put them on the GPS without issue. There is no problem in the MapSource to GPS transfer.

The problem seems to be pre-MapSource. IE in something I'm missing in the GPSMapEdit or MapSetToolKit.

Considering that when I load both the working NETopo100 and my attempt at a map within GPSMapEdit and they don't line up, I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong in GPSMapEdit. Even though both coordinate systems appear to be the same.

Seldom

When you select YOUR maps in MapSource do they turn pink with a yellow border?

PHeller

Seldom

1) Do you see your map on the list when you go to the map page and press "Menu"| <up or down area to select>"Setup map""Enter"|"Menu"?

Or does the unit freeze there?

2) What levels are your trails extended up to in GPSMapedit?

Jimbob

Quote from: PHeller on June 18, 2010, 09:45:28 AM
I am still struggling with this.

For the life of me I cannot get my ArcGIS map maps to show in my 60Csx.

I'm following at least some of the directions correctly because the maps appears in MapSource, but don't on my GPS.
Have you tried sending only your map to the GPSr to see if it is viewable by itself? One at a time if you have more than one.

Seldom

Good idea, Jimbob.

If the map shows up correctly it would be an indication of FID or Map ID conflicts.

Pheller may want to back up the gmapsupp.IMG from his GPSr, because whatever he as on it now will be wiped by the single map.

Jimbob

Morning seldom_sn
It was a grasp at isolating the problem. Strange happenings. Another thought was that the OP might need to make a change in mapsettoolkit as to how the map is viewed as to draw priority. Will see what shows up.

PHeller

When I send only my map to the GPS, it doesn't show up and trying to select it in the GPSr results in a freeze-up.

I also discovered that my .shp files are saved in NAD 1983 Projections, and I assume in coordinate system of lat/long...however...when I make these changes in GPSMapEdit, I can't view my .shp files.