GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Keeping different mapsets on a Garmin 60CSx?

Started by SeanO, June 01, 2010, 10:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanO

Will the 60CSx allow me to rename several different maps in .img format and keep them on my SD card.  I have seen mention of this and tried renaming several maps, and created a folder called Maps to keep them in, but the unit doesn't seem to be reading them unless they are renamed as gmapsupp.img?  Is there a trick I am missing?

Also, how can I read what's on the SD card on the GPSr itself?

I was thinking of loading all the maps in the Northeast, coupled with the Garmin 100K corresponding maps as separate state maps.  However, I could just as easily load the entire region as one.  Will the 60CSx work at the same speed if reading a state map versus a multi-state region? 

Boyd

The only map file recognized by the 60csx is gmapsupp.img. You can rename the map files and keep them on the same data card, but the GPS will not see them. You would need to pull the card out and use a computer/PDA/phone to change the names to gmapsupp.img if you want to use one of those files.

I don't understand your question about reading what's on the memory card on the GPS. The only thing the 60csx can read from the card is the gmapsupp.img file. It can WRITE the tracklog to the card, but cannot READ it.

eaparks

Quote from: SeanO on June 01, 2010, 10:13:16 AM
Will the 60CSx allow me to rename several different maps in .img format and keep them on my SD card.  I have seen mention of this and tried renaming several maps, and created a folder called Maps to keep them in, but the unit doesn't seem to be reading them unless they are renamed as gmapsupp.img?  Is there a trick I am missing?
You are not mising anything, it is working the way the 60CSx software is designed to work.  What you probably saw was referring to the Oregon, Colorado, and Dakota units; yes they can do what you are asking.  Also, I'm not positive but I believe the new 62 and 78 series will have this capability.

Quote from: SeanO on June 01, 2010, 10:13:16 AMAlso, how can I read what's on the SD card on the GPSr itself??
You can't.

Quote from: SeanO on June 01, 2010, 10:13:16 AMI was thinking of loading all the maps in the Northeast, coupled with the Garmin 100K corresponding maps as separate state maps.  However, I could just as easily load the entire region as one.  Will the 60CSx work at the same speed if reading a state map versus a multi-state region? 
The size of the gmapsupp.img file has very little overall effect on the screen display rate.  Even with multiple maps in your single gmapsupp.img file it is a good idea to disable/hide those maps that your don't need at that time.

Jimbob

As to reading whats on the SD card itself you actually can in a sense. You see the results of it on your GPSr screen depending on what you select. The GPX files display their contents and the garmin folder gives the gmapsupp file which is nothing more than a filename that contains the maps that have been selected and uploaded to the GPSr. This is the list of maps that shows up when you select map setup on the GPSr. Some or all of these maps can be selected to display or not as the case may be. Disable all maps and you can still see routes/tracks. Also you can see the above files on your computer but the map names will not show in basecamp. What will show in basecamp when your gps is interface connected is ALL the other data on your card.

SeanO

Thanks everyone.  Many questions answered, even those I hadn't thought to ask yet!  I was just looking at hiding maps, and all the maps on the SD card do scroll down (as Jimbob mentions), which is what I was I trying to see. 

As for disabling maps.  For the state of Maine, I have 149 maps loaded - around 75 each from Topo2008 and the Maine mti topo.  This is on top of the Garmin basemap.  Should I disable the Garmin basemap, and Topo2008 maps, or also disable the other quadrants on the mti map I am not using? 

And if I should do some piecemeal disabling of the mti maps, is there a way to rename them?  Also, is it possible to see the individual quadrants on the GPSr like you can on MapSource? 

I appreciate the responses!

Jimbob

To show only certain tiles/quadrants select hide that given map, then check the individual tiles you want to display. Have never done this but see no reason why it won't work. Or the proceedure could be done in reverse, just uncheck tiles not wanted. When you first do this hide all maps first as a check. To make things more understandable for future a map is made up of one or more tiles/quadrants. multiple maps in a gsuppmap.img file is referred to as a mapset.
I know of no way to change the names of individual tiles within a give map. Perhaps someone else does.
From a personal standpoint I disable any map that I don't need at a given time.
Your getting there.