GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

MWtopo install problems

Started by [email protected], May 31, 2010, 05:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

I just received a Garmin 60CSx unit and tried to download maps from Midwest Topo United States.  Eventually they seemed to download properly, and automatically copied over to the GPS unit.  But I can't seem to do anything from there.  I can see the file, but when I try to open it (162-6916-MWtopo_install)  it locks up my computer and I get the message that the program in not responding.  On the map setup page of the unit I don't see any maps listed.  I can't even figure out how to delete the file and start over. 
Thoroughly confused!! ??? ???

Jimbob

Some thing is wrong. The maps would download and install on your computer automatically, but not to the GPSr. After installing on the computer they should show up in mapsource or basecamp which are Garmin software programs designed to load maps in the GPSr. You make no mention of them, do you have those programs on your computer? You do not need both.
What file is it that you see and where do you see it at.

-Oz-

This is very odd; that file has to be installed from the desktop computer; it doesn't go and can't just automatically go, on the GPS
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

[email protected]

I figured I've messed something up.  Can't figure out what I did though.  The file 162-6916-MWtopo_install is definately located on my GPS.  When I connect it to my computer it shows as my F drive, and that is where the file is located.  I have searched for it on my computer hard drive and it is not on there. 
When I did the download it seemed to go fine, and then as soon as it was finished downloading it switched over and started copying the file to the F drive (the GPS) 

I'd love to just delete the file and start over, but when I open the F drive and try to click on the file it locks up and I get the message that F is not responding.  So I can't even figure out how to delete the file and start over.

I have ordered a new memory card, and will have to start with that I guess.  The 1GB card that came with the unit is about filled up with the file I downloaded.

Jimbob

It would certainly seem you selected the data card as the location to install that map rather than the default location.
Maybe a reformat of the card will work, also might try to reformat thru a card reader if you have one.
Luck