GPSFileDepot.com

Help..on gmapsupp kills another gmapsupp file

Started by woodstramp, May 29, 2010, 07:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodstramp

Long story short, well, short as possible. :) ...already had a copy of SETopo map on my Garmin Nuvi's SD card. Works great (thanks, BTW)

Wanted a Wyoming Topo in there too.  Re-read the tutorial...downloaded a copy (and installer) of the Wyoming Topo map.  Successfully got the Wyo-Topo in Mapsource, cut  and sent it to the Nuvi's SD card.  Problem is that it seems to have uninstalled the older SEtopo map that was already there.

I seem to recall that you had to rename a newly loaded "gmapsupp" to keep this from happening, so I deleted the WyoTopo map, reinstalled the SEtopo.  Then I left the SEtopo file name "gmapsupp" and  dragged in the Wyotopo.  Named the Wyoptopo "gmapsupp 2".  When I go to see what the Nuvi is "seeing" in its maps setting.  The only ones it can see is CN (which is already in internal memory) and SETopo.  No Wyotop is an option.   I can "see" the other WyoTopo from the PC's USB port.

Can y'all tell me what needs to be done.  Thanks.

Seldom

You need to send both map products to the Nuvi (card, not internal) at the same time, as a single gmapsupp.img.  To do this select the Wyoming product with the map select tool.  It will turn pink.  The switch map products to SEtopo and select the map products from it that you want to add.  You should see all maps in the Maps Tab on the left of the MapSource screen.  Then click the "Send to Device" button, and the maps will transfer.

Boyd

What model Nuvi do you have? Some of them support multiple map files, others do not. If you have one of the new models (1200/1300/1400/1600 series), create a folder named Map in the root directory. You can drop any map files you want in there and as long as they have a .img extension, the Nuvi will recognize them.

Certain other series recognize specific file names; see this thread: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=10312

If your model isn't any of the above, then use seldom_sn's approach.

woodstramp

Seldom, Boyd,

This is kind of crazy.  (Nuvi 200, BTW)  If I name either map ( the Wyoming or SE map) just "gmapsupp" I can see them in the Nuvi.  Also, both are .img files.  If I change one of the names just a tad the 200 will not recognize it.   The WyTopo named "gmapsupp" works.  The Wytopo named "gmapsupp 2" will not.  Same with the SEtopo.

I was going to try Seldom's idea, but I ran into another problem. :)

The copy of SEtopo was loaded to this card last year.  Since that time I had a virus wipe this computer out.  The little copy of SETopo was safe in the Nuvi's SD during that event.   Now I tried to import it as a tile into Mapsource and it will not allow the import.  A pop-up comes up saying that there is a problem.  The WyoTopo installed fine as a tile into Mapsource.

I may have to scrap this old copy of SEtopo and start with a fresh download to see if it will "tile up" in Mapsource..  I'll try that next. 

Thanks for the replies.

Boyd

Yes, I believe your model only supports the gmapsupp.img filename. However, there is another way I didn't think of before. If you create a \Garmin folder on an SD memory card, your Nuvi will also recognize a gmapsupp.img file there. So you can have two gmapsupp.img files: one in the \Garmin folder in internal memory, and a second one in the \Garmin folder on a memory card.

woodstramp

Boyd,

I'm not that computer savvy.  When I first got a Nuvi my attempts at loading a .gpx into it's internal memory bricked it.  So I like to load stuff on the SD card, just to be safe.  Learning this puter stuff (with me) is like handing a loaded pistol to a chimp. :)

I have a small SD card I may just dedicate to the Wyoming map.

Seldom

Quote from: woodstramp on May 30, 2010, 06:56:37 AM

I may have to scrap this old copy of SEtopo and start with a fresh download to see if it will "tile up" in Mapsource..  I'll try that next. 

Thanks for the replies.

A new download of SETopo will have an installer.  That will be the easiest way to get it into MapSource.

woodstramp

Seldom,

Well, got some time to try and reload SEtopo again tonight, but for some reason it said the download would take about three hours.  We had some mayor lightning today.  It might have boogered up my ISP.  I'll try that download when my speeds are back up. 

alpine

Also your 200 will not accept routes (if that is what you meant by sending a gpx file).

woodstramp

Well, finally got the time to reload SETopo into Mapsource.  Canned the old copy.  Guess what? Now I have WyoTopo and SEtopo on the SD card!   Looks like Mapsource combined both map sets into one "Gmapsupp" file on the SD and both work great.

Even though I had just cut-m-pasted that old copy of SETopo, there must have been something wrong.  I'll make sure to strictly use Mapsource for transfers from now on.

Just wanted to post a follow up and say thanks you all.