GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

loading an img into mapsource

Started by amk, May 29, 2010, 02:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amk

Guys, I follow the first part of this http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/
And get this message:
"In IMG file C:\...\63240000.img less detailed layer 1s 12 bits while you are trying to create preview with with most detailed layer at 14... Error PE11 preview map has to be less detailed than any IMG file in the mapset. Change level definition in the [MAP] section to a less detailed."

What is wrong? I not a programmer...
May be it is cgpsmapper? I have tried 2 currently available versions, one was free, another has to be registered, which I have not...

I am trying to load this file http://www.bagu.org/osm/ for canada into mapsource 

Any help please

maps4gps

Have you followed the instructions on that site: To use these maps, just download gmapsupp.img and put it in the "Garmin" folder of your SD card. Once that's done, put the SD card in your GPS unit and turn it on. You should be able to turn on the OSM map from the configuration menu of your GPS unit.

Or are you trying to use MapSetToolKit to combine that data with other mapsets to be used on non-CO, OR, DK units?

amk

I try to do what I said in the first post. Never tryed to put the file directly on to SD. Mapsource first. Am I wrong?
Even if I am, I need to put it into mapsource along with some other maps which already there. How to? If the tutorial is wrong, what is right? How to put that IMG into mapsource using the tutorial from the fist post or without?

Seldom

You are trying to install an OSM IMG into MapSource. 

MapSetToolKit only works for OSM maps after the TDB and basemap.IMG files have been created by mkgmap, the OSM command line routable compiler. 

You are probably better off trying to get an installer from the mapmaker's website, but if you want to learn how to do this yourself, you'll need to look up mkgmap on the OSM wiki.  You'll then need to install mkgmap and run it with the --TDB option for the files you want to install.

amk

I said that I try the first part of the procedure that is  "The Map Doesn't Have A .tdb File." The second part "The Map Has a .tdb File" works just fine.

Seldom

I just looked at the site you mentioned. 

The only files I see are all gmapsupp.IMGs.  A gmapsupp.IMG is a container for multiple IMG files and is intended for installation direct to a GPSr.  If you have an older Garmin like a 60CSX you can copy it to the Garmin folder on the memory card.  (It will overwrite any other gmapsupp.img on the card.) If you have a newer Garmin, like a Colorado, Oregon, or Dakota you can rename the file to something like Canada.img and copy it to the Garmin folder along with other IMG files.

amk

I do have an older one. Renaming gmapsupp.IMG I would probably be able to use it along with a couple of others, but the others are in my mapsourse as well, how to put that one in?

amk

Well, probably I am posting in the wrong board. I mean that another one "using the maps" has the very same link to the tutorial as a sticky one, it also says that the tutorial does not work " Note: you cannot use this tutorial for the OSM routable maps."
The map I am trying to load is routable and OSM. How to put it into that mapsource?

Seldom

Two points:

1) You can't put ANY gmapsupp.IMGs into MapSource either created from maps from this site or OSM.
2) The tutorials on this site don't address putting OSM IMG files into MapSource.

If you want to get OSM IMG files into MapSource your best bet is to go to:
http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

That site will make an installer for a set of map tiles you can select.

amk

Thank you,
For some reason the site you gave does not work very well, it just hungs on for ages.
Anyway, now I see my problem, I got several gmapsupp.img files from the net and I'd like to use them simultaneusly in 60CX.
I see several ways:
1. break a gmapsupp onto single map files then get them into mapsource,
How to do it except than to go for that hunging site
2. rename gmapsupp to something else like gmapbmap or gmapprom. I have tried, nothing worked on mine 60cx
3. each gmapsupp to each own SD card, I do not like it
Is ther a 4's way? Or how to cope with the first 2 so they work?

Thanks again

Boyd

Are you familiar with the SendMap 20 program? You can download it from the cgpsmapper website, it is free. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that if you drag your different gmapsupp.img files to its window, it will combine them into a single mapset that you can either save on your computer or send directly to your gps.

amk

Thank you guys.
I have experimented with both. That is a freeware, so what one would expect? Mapupload starts, thinks with a message "merging maps" for an hour then "unexpected failure". Sendmap actually breaks img files to specific map sheets, so there is a possibility to choose what to load, but the result is funny, some sheets got loaded some not, though they were selected for. Then I tried to load them as if I had no tdb, that did work properly, until the gps started, which did not recognized the new map. It was in all right, but the unit kept saying "no map".
There is a possibility that all this is due to how mine computer works. But I just gave up at this point. I will be back to the task later on if I got blinded and lost by my blind ibycus currently in use.