GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Installing Multiple Maps 60csx

Started by Walker123, May 28, 2010, 11:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker123

I know this has been discussed before but I can't figure out how to make this work.  I just purchased a Garmin 60csx.  I came with a 2gb sd card and base map installed.  I added some of the topo maps from this site to the card last night and then purchased City Navigator Lower 49 download from the garmin site.  When I went to download the Garmin map to my device it said there was not enough room on the card, so I bought a 4gb card and downloaded it to that.  Now I want to add the topos from GPSFileDepot but when I do I get the message that I am about to overwrite the card.  How do I add the topos without overwriting the Garmin City Navigator file already on the card?

Thanks.

oh and I am on a mac.

maps4gps

Not possible on that GPSr; it only recognizes a single gmapsupp.img file. 
Select the quads/tiles from one mapsett; then do so for additional mapsets; finally send all the selected data to the micro memory card.
See the tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Walker123

Maps4gps.  thanks for the reply, but I am confused.  My original sd card successfully had the base map and several of the free maps from this site on it and all I had to do was select the map on the gps that I wanted to use.  I want to do the same thing but with the new map installed as well.

Part of the issue is that I can not use mapinstall because it is a direct download to the sd from the garmin site

Walker123

Ok I just checked that original sd card and it only has the one file on it.  So I can only have one map on 1 card.  If I buy another map from garmin and download it, i can't keep it on the same card, I have to swap cards?  I hope I am wrong.

Jimbob

You are right and wrong both. Multiple maps that you make or download from this site can be placed together on one card. The maps you buy/download from Garmin can not be put together with other maps and then loaded on your GPSr. However (someone correct me if I'm wrong) maps that you purchase from garmin on CD can be coupled with other maps (there are some limitations) . The main thing to remember is that the maps are placed in one. img file for access by the GPSr

maps4gps

Sorry, I missed that CN was a download.  The other responders are correct.  Only CN can be used on a micro memory card with that unit.  Any other mapsets would have to be placed on their own micro memory card.  You would need to swap the micro memory cards to access CN or the none CN mapsets.  If CN was on DVD, it could be loaded with other mapsets to a single micro memory card. 

Walker123

Thank you folks for the help, I think I have straightened this out.  As it has been pointed out, the downloaded map can only be used on an individual SD card by itself.  There is no way to add other maps to the sd card including Garmin maps that are downloaded directly from their site.  Any new download will just replace the file on the card.  So you have to put in a fresh SD card for each map you buy from Garmin if you download them. What I want is the ability to have topos and road navigation on the same device and not have to fumble with changing cards on the fly.

It doesn't say when you buy the download on the Garmin site that you have to use a new sd card for each map you download.  I called them to see if they would let me upgrade to the DVD version since it was not clear when I purchased and after getting hung up on once (I deserved it) they agreed.

So I had to pay the difference between the lower 49 and the full North America but now I can do what I want.

Thanks again for the help.

maps4gps

Good that it worked out for you.  Enjoy.

Boyd

It's nice that Garmin let you exchange the maps.

Garmin is going through a transition with their map storage system - and it's long overdue. As you have learned, it's very limiting to only be able to use one map file at a time. This is especially problematic on the older handhelds since they don't have any internal memory. On the Nuvi series at least you have internal memory plus a card slot.

I'm sure that the new 62 series will support multiple map files like the Oregon, Dakota and Colorado, but I doubt they will ever bring that capability to the older models. The newest members of the Nuvi series also support multiple map files (my Nuvi 1350 does), but they must be placed in a folder named \Map in the root directory and not in the \Garmin folder.

Jimbob

It's great that Garmin worked out the problem with you. Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row now. I agree with Boyd about the backward capability of file names, although I believe they could maybe do it if they wished. I would love it for my 60CSx. But again it's not likely to happen.