GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Hiking trails on the New York Topo

Started by SeanO, May 27, 2010, 07:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanO

Hello, first time post and pretty much a noob with my first gps. 

The NY Topo doesn't show any hiking trails, aside from being exemplary in its detail.  I downloaded the trails overlay map, and am under the impression that MapSource ( I have a 60csx) won't allow me to overlay the trails on to the topo map? 

Are the trails on the NY map, and I just can't see them?  (zoomed in all the way)

Or how can I overlay them myself? 

TIA.

maps4gps

The transportation data comes from Census files.  They do not have much need to include trails as we think of them as they are primary concered about where people live.

There is not much 'hiking' trail data available.  There are a few websites with local/regional trails, contributed by users, but nothing on a National scale.  OSM (open street map) includes trails if someone submitted them.

MapSource will only display one mapset at a time.  More than one mapset can be sent to your GPSr - they all need to go at the same time.

What is in the 'trails' mapset are the line segments marked 'trail' in USGS's data for the 100k scale printed maps.  Level of detail varies by location - most are likely to be 'jeep' trails and such trails now limited to non-motorized use. 

There have been numerous posts here on building your own mapsets with your own data.  There is a tutorial on building your own mapsets.

Jimbob

If you select both the Topo map and the trail map in mapsource (left pane will show what you selected) and upload both to the 60CSx the trail data that is available should show along with the Topo.

SeanO

Thanks for the ideas.  I'll try loading the trails map into my unit.  I'm a little worried, for toggling back and forth between the two maps in Mapsource, the two maps don't align.  Of course, that could be something with the program, so we'll see how they line up in the actual gps. 

Should I remove the NY Topo, and reload it with Trails100 at the same time?  It sounds that way from your replies. 

Also, for my previous map and compass adventures I charted a course on National Geographic Topo! which is similar to the map downloaded here, except they have most of the older established trails.  You can't send those maps to a Garmin, however is there a conversion process out there to bridge those two formats?

maps4gps

Correct; MapSource needs to create a gmapsupp.img file from both (or more) mapsets you wish to upload to your GPSr.  You do not need to remove the current one from your GPSr; MapSource will overwrite any existing gmapsupp.img file on the GPSr.
I do not have NG's topo; from what I have read, they do not support outputing their data in Garmin's format.

SeanO

Cool, thanks for the explanation.  My unit actually came with the Garmin 100K maps, which have the Adirondack trails (albeit a little out of date on some) so I loaded both and will check it out in the field this weekend. 

Look forward to playing around with this great site as I do more with my GPSr!

Jimbob

Good that things are progressing for you. You did not mention what model GPSr you have but use some caution as to what you do with maps that came with your unit. For example the 100k maps you mention are likely to be in internal memory, so use caution there. Fooling around with data on the sd card presents no problem unless it to came from Garmin.

SeanO

Jimbob,

I have a Garmin 60CSx, with the basemap it came loaded with.  The 100K map came off Topo 2008, which is a separate disc that I opened in MapSource.  From what I can tell, the basemap is loaded in internal memory, and the stuff I've transferred has gone to the mSD card.  Of course, now I have to tinker and get my system (Windows 7 with multiple drives) to recognize the card!  I can read it through a card reader, just not through the unit?  And I should have checked that the factory installed card was the 64mb one listed, and not the 1GB surprise upgrade...would have not picked up a 2 GB one at the store!  But, such is life. 

Thanks for the scoops.  Good to know every transfer of maps will overwrite what's presently on the card!  Not on the card were several routes and waypoints that I also transferred.  Do all routes get stored on the internal memory? 

Seldom

Your map transfers will go much faster if you have a USB2.0 card reader and you have MapSource write the file to the card.  The 60CSX uses USB1.  It takes 2 to 3 hours to transfer all of CityNavigator NA directly to the 60CSX.  Only about a half hour to a USB2.0 card reader.

Jimbob

On the 60 it's not possible to alter the basemap as it's in internal memory and can not be accessed. The daily route log can be selected to be stored on the sd card, lots more room that way. The unit will only store up to 20 tracks in internal memory before it starts to reject them. It's possible your computer system already sees the card in a sense. you need to set the GPSr so it is recognizable. Menu-interface-then make you selection.

SeanO

Another great scoop, Jimbob.  My computer now reads the card.  Is there a way to toggle between the card and the unit while in this mode?  Being connected to the card locks out the GPSr controls on my unit until I shut it off?  I did send the daily logs to the card.  My saved logs must be on the internal storage I take it?  Any way to keep a copy on the card as well?

seldom_sn.  Good to know.  Odd the unit is still on USB1? 

Jimbob

Any way to keep a copy on the card as well------
Not real sure here what you are asking. To save the tracks to the sd card select tracks-setup-uncheck wrap when full- select data card setup-check log track to data card at top of screen.
If you are talking about old saved logs- I would think you could transfer them to mapsource-then back into the GPSr sd card from mapsource.

SeanO

Quote from: Jimbob on June 01, 2010, 10:55:26 AM
Any way to keep a copy on the card as well------
Not real sure here what you are asking. To save the tracks to the sd card select tracks-setup-uncheck wrap when full- select data card setup-check log track to data card at top of screen.
If you are talking about old saved logs- I would think you could transfer them to mapsource-then back into the GPSr sd card from mapsource.

I think I'm too conditioned to backing all my work up in multiple locations!  Okay, this was great and has helped me a lot.  Thanks everyone!