GPSFileDepot.com

newbie here, got some gpx files from trail damage.com and want to make a route

Started by skshepherd, May 29, 2010, 02:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skshepherd

I can pull up the tracks or waypoints in mapsource and I would like to put them on an sd card and have my garmin nuvi 760 be able to see them as a route I would like to select.

I've read to go to tools data and import route but they dont show up even though gpx files are on sd card.

Thanks

maps4gps

skshepherd

Nope, should I just create a folder and end the name with .gpx and put it in the garmin folder that is on the sd card?

maps4gps

The folder within/under the Garmin folder needs to be named GPX.  The gpx files within the gpx folder will have a .gpx extension.

alpine

And to further confuse you there are different kinds of gpx files. There are tracks and there are routes.

A track is where you went, and a route is where you want to go. If you want to make a route out of a track, you have to specifically do that in MapSource.

skshepherd

Thanks!  Is there an easy way to turn a track into a route or do I have to zoom in on mapsource and add my own waypoints that follow the track?
Thanks again,
Steve

alpine

No easy way. Just open the track in MapSource, and then put via points at significant points along the track.

The amount of via points varies from unit to unit. Ask Garmin how many yours will accept. And then even Garmin will give you a wrong answer 50% of the time. They told me the Nuvi 500 will take 200 via or waypoints.

Wrong! It will accept only 20 way points and less that 180 via points.

Well back to the subject at hand. Save you route as a gpx (If you have the lasted version of MapSource it will not crash like previous versions) and name it.

Also there are limitations on how many routes your unit will be able to retain (10 is the limit in the 500) But there is no limit on how many you can have on the SD card but not imported into the internal memory.

Clear as mud, right?