News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Overwriting base map and getting it back

Started by MichaelJ07, May 22, 2010, 08:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelJ07

Hello,

I have a Venture HC and love it.  Now, if I were load a custom map to my device, does that overwrite the basemap?  Or do I have that 24MB of storage separate from the basemap space?  If the basemap of my device gets overwritten, where do I go to get it back with I am done bushwhacking the forests and swamps of Michigan?

Thanks muchly
Mike
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boyd

On your unit, the basemap is stored in permanent internal memory that you cannot access directly. So, no worries about erasing it. You have 24MB of user memory in addition to the basemap. Of course, 24MB ain't what it used to be, and depending on the detail level of the map you may not be able to cover very much area.

MichaelJ07

Hey, that is just super!  Thanks for the quick responses and the excellent help!  You folks rock!

Happer GPSer, Mike

EDIT:  I have selected three little maps (3.5MB) from the MI TOPO map which I have viewed many times and when trying to transfer them to the unit, Map Source is saying it cannot communicate to my device after 20% even tho the device says it's transferring data.  I remamned the maps to Softball.  Should I have left them with the auto name?

Any suggestions?

EDIT the EDIT:  Ok, I kept the auto name of the maps and I see them in my unit and on my screen.  Is is not possible to rename those maps to a name of my choosing in Mapsource?

Thanks again
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

maps4gps

The only name your GPSr will recognize is gmapsupp.img.  MapSource will overwrite any existing gmapsupp.img file with a new one each time you send map data to the GPSr.

MichaelJ07

So, my Mapsource help tells me I can give the map set a more meaningful name by clicking Map Set Name and unchecking Autoname?  This is what I am trying to do when the unit loses connectivity even though it's still hooked up.

Is that any clearer?

Mike

Boyd

I believe that name will only appear in Mapsource. The map name you see on the GPS itself comes from the author's data inside the file.

As far as your unit losing contact, not sure what is happening there, have not heard of that problem before.

MichaelJ07

Well, I think all is working ok now.  I understand the name listed in MS and understand the name of the maps from the author.  Thanks for clearing that up.

No power failures since the first time.  Maybe the device was "testing" me.....and I passed.  :)

Thanks once again for all your replies as each one helped me out.

Mike

Jimbob

The name you give to a mapset in mapsource creates a file that simply lists the various tiles/quads that you selected when making up your mapset. If you should change mapsets in the GPSr and at a later date want to go back to another mapset you can simply select it instead of rebuilding it from scratch.