GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Button placement VS touch screens

Started by Jimbob, April 26, 2010, 07:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbob

Seems upside down to me. as you hold it and use your input buttons your hand/hands will quite likely cover part of the screen. thats the feature I like best on the 60CSx, the screen is right there as you work thru settings.

alpine

Quote from: Jimbob on April 26, 2010, 07:51:57 AM
Seems upside down to me. as you hold it and use your input buttons your hand/hands will quite likely cover part of the screen. thats the feature I like best on the 60CSx, the screen is right there as you work thru settings.

I agree. I don't know what the engineer was thinking. Everybody else does display up, controls down.

Maybe the engineer was from south of the equator?

maps4gps

I disagree.  On the 76 my thumb does not cover the display when accessing the buttons.   The unit is supported in the palm of my hand and held firmly by four fingers.  The unit is very secure and easy to operate with one hand.

When the controls are on the bottom, two hands seem to be needed - one to hold the unit firmly and the other to access the buttons.

leszekp

I really hope that a "62" model does get released. I like the Oregon/Dakota hardware and features, but really dislike the touch interface, and have a hard time recommending them over my old 60Cx for serious field work. If they configure the button interface on a "62" to work well with the new OS, many of my objections would disappear. One thing that bugs me about the 78 models, though, is that they appear to be missing a separate "Mark" button that lets you enter a waypoint or MOB point from any screen; I hope the "Enter" button can serve that function, at least from the map screen. And I would hope that a larger quad-helix stub antenna would be a feature; presumably, that would also fix the rather major WAAS issues that exist with the Oregon and Dakota models.

Anybody know which chipset the new 78 series uses? Cartesio or MTK?

Jimbob

Like the controls on the bottom and the screen on top. Must be some reason they retained it besides cost. Ref. earlier discussion on this aspect.

maps4gps

The touch screen has three 'button' sensitive locations on the display screen.  Two will even move location when the 'id' map pin is displaying.

Boyd

Can you expand on that? What model are we talking about? Are you saying there are specific areas of the Oregon screen that have hardware button capability beyond the "soft" buttons shown on screen (like the + and - zoom)?

-Oz-

Yea, i'd like to know what the three button sensitive areas are; maybe on my Dakota.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

I was refering to the + & - zoom and the 'back up' areas.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!