News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPSMAP 62 series first look

Started by Indrid Cold, May 21, 2010, 01:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indrid Cold

Boyd

Cool - what is the source of those ads? Looks like what everyone was expecting, the GPSMap 78 in a different box. It does look pretty nice, but why can't they make a readable higher resolution screen?

-Oz-

It does look pretty cool.  Exactly what was expected which honestly was exactly what they needed to do.  Only issue is price: why does it still cost so much without touchscreens and everything.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

The source was a Canadian  RadioWorld ad. Prices are in C$ CAD, note the spelling of "colour"

maps4gps

and that the ST version comes preloaded with Canadian Topographic maps.

Indrid Cold

Garmin 62s
$399.99

• Incredibly sensitive and easy to use. Preloaded Worldwide DEM basemap
• Brilliant 65K color TFT display
• Crisp 160x240-pixel resolution
• 1.8 GB internal memory
• Includes a variety of essential outdoor apps, including compass, altimeter, and wireless
• High-speed USB serial interface
• External GPS output
• MicroSD card slot (card not included)
• Runs 18 hours on two AA batteries (not included)
• Incredibly sensitive and easy to use, the Garmin® 62s Handheld GPS

Garmin 62st
$499.99

• Incredibly sensitive and easy to use
• Preloaded Worldwide DEM basemap plus Topo 100K
• Brilliant 65K color TFT display
• Crisp 160x240-pixel resolution
• 1 GB internal usable memory
• Includes a variety of essential outdoor apps, including compass, altimeter, and wireless
• High-speed USB serial interface
• External GPS output
• MicroSD card slot (card not included)
• Runs 18 hours on two AA batteries (not included)

Indrid Cold

Garmin's official first look: BLOG

GPSMAP 62
GPSMAP 62S
GPSMAP 62ST

Indrid Cold

Quote from: -Oz- on October 12, 2009, 05:08:40 AM
Haha imagery.

So i watched Transformers 2 yesterday.  They had raster images on a 60csx;  very interesting.
They were ahead of their time ;)

jackin

The source was a Canadian  RadioWorld ad. Prices are in C$ CAD, note the spelling of "colour"

I contacted them the day i saw that mailout flyer thinking it would be in stock already.   haha.  

Indrid Cold

Quote from: jackin on June 16, 2010, 11:05:59 PM
The source was a Canadian  RadioWorld ad. Prices are in C$ CAD, note the spelling of "colour"

I contacted them the day i saw that mailout flyer thinking it would be in stock already.   haha.  
I think they are going to hit the stores in July.

JasonC

already pre ordered!  I can't wait.

edit: any idea how many tiles this one will support?  2,025 like the 60csx or 4,000 like oregon?

-Oz-

I would expect 4k because it uses new software
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

jackin

I would hope it's not still limited to 2025 but even if it was, i would do the upgrade for the new 3D map display.  I couldn't care less about 3D city navigation but topo data and bluechart soundings in 3D are a million times easier to absorb at a glance.

Boyd

Are you talking about the 3d mode like the Nuvi series uses (also available on the Oregon in the automotive profile)? That will work with any map, although I don't find it attractive or useful with topo maps since it distorts the thickness of contour lines.

Or are you talking about the rendered 3d mode also available on the Oregon? This requires maps that have DEM data in them, which requires a Garmin product (as opposed to maps from this site). When I got my Oregon 400t a few years ago, I thought it would be very cool also but quickly decided it was useless. It will only show you a tiny portion of the map, it is slow to update the screen when you rotate the map, and it looks really bad - very low resolution and pixellated.

If that is what you're talking about, and you have not tried it in person, I suggest that you do. You could play around with an Oregon 450t or 550t in a store to see what it looks like. Personally, I don't think it's a good reason to buy a new GPS. Here's an example:

-Oz-

I own a Dakota and honestly it isn't too much of an improvement over my 60csx.  It has some nice features (3d compass, map img handling, etc) but I wouldn't list the 3d view as one of them.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!