GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Error with Command Line when creating Garmin Topo map.

Started by MTMapper, May 18, 2010, 02:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTMapper

I recently started making my own GPS Map of Montana using the tutorial on this site.  I am trying to put water and transportation data onto the map and have followed every direction to the letter, but when I get to the part with the command line to convert the .shp to .sql, the line errors and says "Access is Denied." My first thought was that it thinks I am not on an Administrator's account with VISTA, but my account does have administrator status.

Any Ideas?

-Oz-

Can you copy the exact command you used in DOS here so we can look at it and see what may be the problem?  You've installed postgis and postgresql correct?

ALso, having admin access isn't the same as using it; you can start a command prompt with admin access as well as without.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

MTMapper

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin shp2pgsql "C:\My_Maps\transportation\all_lines.shp" all_lines > all_lines.sql

I am sure that PostgreSQL and PostGIS are installed correctly as long as the tutorial is correct.  All the county's .shp files are combined into the all_lines.shp file and it is in the transportation file within My_maps.

-Oz-

well, the command looks correct. Did you try starting the command prompt with admin access as mentioned above?  I've never seen this issue even while I used vista.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!