GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Northwest Trails Map

Started by Moun10Bike, May 18, 2010, 11:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moun10Bike

This has been the case for a while with BaseCamp, but now with the upgrade to MS v6.16.1 I am seeing it in MapSource as well: the non-transparent preview map that I include with my transparent Northwest Trails mapset is all that displays in the application; the detail maps (featuring the trails themselves) do not.

I know that others are encountering this issue so I am not alone, but I have not been able to determine if anyone has found a workaround.  So far the only solution I have found is to not upgrade (something I can't expect users of the mapset to not do), or to remove the custom preview map I have created to go with the transparent detail maps.

Anyone have any other ideas or solutions?

Seldom

Quote from: Moun10Bike on May 18, 2010, 01:21:57 PM
Could you explain this to me?  I'm not sure I understand what you mean and wonder if it might be a process I should look at with my mapsets.  Is it something you are doing for transparent overlay maps?
Transparent=S (semi-transparent) is an option I discovered about a year ago when the latest version of cgpsmapper no longer accepted the "pvx" switch to eliminate the preview map.  I think this happened during the switch from version 8.x to version 9.x. 

The "S" option creates a layer between the map layer and the polygonal layer generated by cpreview.  Maps compiled with Transparent=Y show all the nasty background polygons. 

The easiest way to access the option is to select it on the cgpsmapper tab on the map properties page in GPSMapEdit. 

When installed on a GPSr, the "s" layer acts transparent.

Basecamp doesn't recognize the "s" layer however and shows the preview layer through it.

Moun10Bike

Quote from: seldom_sn on May 18, 2010, 01:57:08 PM
The "S" option creates a layer between the map layer and the polygonal layer generated by cpreview.  Maps compiled with Transparent=Y show all the nasty background polygons. 

Sorry for being thick but I still don't follow.  What nasty background polygons are you referring to?  When I create my transparent mapsets, I get no default background at all - just the map selection polygons.  I *want* a background map to show through, but not prevent the display of the overlying detail map data (i.e. my transparent trail data).

Moun10Bike

Northwest Trails is set to transparent (=Y), but I use a custom preview map that includes roads, lakes, etc. - things that don't upload to the GPS but help users locate where they are on the map when viewing the mapset in MapSource.  I can leave it out (i.e. just compile the default preview map using the .mp file generated by cgpsmapper) and the transparent map overlays display, but the helpful background image is of course gone.  It is this ability to use a custom preview map that has stopped working for me with the latest release of MapSource (and several iterations of BaseCamp).

You won't hit this problem unless your transparent mapset uses a custom preview map.  It looks like your transparent mapset does not.

Seldom

Quote from: Moun10Bike on May 18, 2010, 02:24:22 PM
What nasty background polygons are you referring to?  

These ugly polygons, or maybe I should have said gratuitous straight lines and duplicate POI.
What versions of cgpsmapper are you guys using to avoid the lines I'm getting?  And what settings?

Note the absence of extra lines and duplicate POI when compiled with Transparent=S.

Thanks,

Moun10Bike

Map selection polygons should be 0x4a, I believe; I think 0x4b is for map coverage polygons (which seem to be created automatically by the compiler).

In any case, I discovered the issue!  :)  It seems that BaseCamp and the new version of MapSource are not as forgiving of overlapping zoom levels between the detailed maps and the preview map.  CGPSMapper has always prevented you from defining a preview map with a zoom level more detailed than the lowest zoom level in the detailed maps, but in the past users have been able to manually create custom preview maps with any zoom levels they desired and use these in place of the one created by CGPSMapper during compilation.  That no longer is the case.  You can still create a custom preview map, but you now *must* keep the zoom levels lower than those in the transparent detailed maps.

The good news is that my maps are now visible in both BaseCamp and Mapsource, while the bad news is that the background map used for reference with my transparent maps is much less detailed.  It should be workable, though.

Moun10Bike

What version of Northwest Trails are you running above?  Are you sure that you are not looking at some previously cached imagery? I absolutely could not get the trails to display on top of the background map until I removed the overlap in zoom levels!