News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

cgpsmapper error doing Maine

Started by savage, January 01, 2009, 05:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

savage

I am getting this error while generating the .img file using the topo_process:

Error E024: Top layer detail level too high to cover entire map - decrease detail level of the less detailed layer (use higher level #)

Do you know what is wrong? I cannot find the problem immediately.

maps4gps

The cgpsmapper manual is a little unclear on this (at least to me) - I think it means you have a feature (or the entire file area) which is too large in extent for the bit-level you are using.  What is the geographic size you covering in the .mp/.img files and what are the bit levels you are defining the features at?

savage

I followed the tutorial more or less. What is surprising is that I did Maine before and it worked but I may have changed few things. It is possible I included a layer I should not have included or did not include before.

It looks like this file has Park data in it and all the data is slightly outside the border of ME, but it should not  crash.

Let's see what Oz has to say?

And Happy New Year to all.

-Oz-

I can't get that .mp files to open in Global Mapper or GPSMapEdit; I opened it and read the text.  The weirdest thing I see in the text is that the elevation lines appear to start and end in the same point:
Quote[RGN40]
Type=0x21
Label=1000
Data0=(47,-70.3521974),(47,-70.3521974)
[END]

That isn't normal.

Also, the file you attached only has some contours; not points of interest or anything like that. Is that what you expected?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

savage

I saw that. I probably included something I did not want to include. I will investigate.
Thanks

savage

I included a layer that should not have been included. The new A2 file is now smaller but still has the same weird points (as opposed to lines)

I will let you know how it goes.

savage

I removed the layer I did not need, but I still get the same error on the A2 file. The new A2 file is about 1/2 the size of the previous file. The weird thing is that use to work but I regenerated the contour line using the topoprocess instead of GM and I also updated some data.

Here is the cgpsmapper doc:

E024 Top layer detail level too
high to cover entire map -
decrease detail level of the
less detail layer (use higher
Level#).
This error needs a little more explanation since it is
often a source of confusion.
The last layer (the empty one) must always have
one 'tre region'. The maximum size of this region is
65535/2 * resolution (grid). If the map covers a
large area, the selected grid may be too low to
allow the desired 'tre region' to be created.
The maximum size of any object strictly depends
on the bit resolution. For resolution 24, the
maximum size ≈ 1.5 metre * 65535. Similarly, for
resolution 23, the maximum size ≈ 3 meter *
65535. This means that if the object is too big to fit
into the given layer of the map, the bit resolution of
this layer needs to be decreased so the layer can
accept bigger objects.

This is really strange because there are no large objects in A2. There are just few single points.
Currently cgpsmapper is running on A3 but it looks like I have few MP files similar to A2 that are on the edges of the MAP. Maybe I can just ignore the error?

savage

OK, A3 completed and it is now doing A4. I think ignoring the error(s) (I think there will be more) is probably OK but it would be nice to go to the bottom of this thing.

-Oz-

How can there be nothing but contours right there.  If it really i just the edge edge I would suggest combing it with A3 (i've done that for some small segments) and combine any other edges that are super small like that.  I think that'll solve the issue.

Its an extra step but most likely a worthwhile one.

Oh, and on a side note: you'd be happy (laugh) to hear that I screwed up Arizona (again) and the latest version had elevations in the 24,000s due to the metric feet thing.  So its recompiling now... what a pain.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

savage

Glad to know I am not the only one with elevation problems!

As predicted the cgpsmapper crashed on the MP files at the edge of the map.

savage

Here is the problem:

When I generate the .MP files the map is split into zones:

A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6
B1 B2 B3 B4 B5 B6
G1 G2 G3 G4 G5 G6

The problem is the state does not cover all the rectangles. For the northern rows we have:

xx xx A3 A4 A5 xx
xx B2 B3 B4 B5 xx

And in the case of ME, the xx falls outside the border of the US and very little elevation data is available. Therefore removing those rectangles is OK.

I think the bug could be traced to the topoprocess I used to create the elevation. In my previous map of ME I used GM to do the elevation.

-Oz-

I've done all my new maps with topoprocess (and really thats just a GUI for fwtools) and never run into this but perhaps you are correct.

And yea, a lot of mine don't cover all the rectanges (can you say Idaho... and Nevada now).

I actually started loading everything into postgis and running a command to cut it out at the border so I don't have square maps anymore.  Interested?
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

savage

I think the problem is not the map not covering all the rectangles is that some of the rectangles are outside the US territory and have no or very little elevation data.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

AndreSch

I wonder if this error was resolved?
I am also trying to build a marine map for a GPSMAP 526 and 740.
My problem is that I also get the error when generating the map;
Maximum Error: 0
Mean Error: 0

and various more on most of the lines and polylines.

What could be the problem?
Is there anyone that can help me sort the building of marine maps?