GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Converting tracks to transparency

Started by Horse Rider, May 13, 2010, 11:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

I'm running out of ideas.  What I described for you is the way I do it every time.

I'd reinstall cgpsmapper.

-Oz-

open a command prompt and browse to the folder where makeIMG.bat lives then run it that way so that rather than opening and closing right away you can see what its issue is.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Horse Rider

OK, here's where I stand.  I've reinstalled cgpsmapper I think 7 times.  The last time I put it in a folder instead of program files and it seems to be working.  I don't know if that would matter or not.  I ended up with (36436410.IMG) but when I put it in mapedit to check it under file/properties/cgpsmapper.... the TRE changed from 1000 to 12 and transparency s changed to not transparent.  Problem 2: In the tutorial.. How to load img files into mapsource with mapsettoolkit(v 1.77 beta) on #17 ...Where does the typ or txt file come from?  I put 36436401.img in the TYP files box and compiled it and got 36436401.typ but   Install in mapsource and    Start  yielded  a    Convert Failed.   I don't think these solfware like my computer(New Dell,  Duo core, Win 7).  Could it be a compatibility problem?   Thanks for listening     lb                 PS: Seldom-sn, I have not re-written your code with the new path to cgpsmapper and tried it yet.

maps4gps

The type file would contain information for a custom line (etc.) style.  If you have not made nor are using one from someone (therefore, using the Garmin default for the feature type) leave the type file blank.

Seldom

Quote from: Horse Rider on May 24, 2010, 12:38:50 PM
     PS: Seldom-sn, I have not re-written your code with the new path to cgpsmapper and tried it yet.

If you've got a recognizable IMG file. That's all my batch file was supposed to do. 

-Oz-

do you have the right cgpsmapper for the processor?  there are multiple options now.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Horse Rider

Ok, I know you're getting tired of hearing from me, but things have finally started to work.  Yes Oz I did have the right program.  The only thing I changed was to put the cgpsmapper cpreview.exe along with the cgpsmapper.exe and sendg.dll which were already in the release-version-1.00 folder.  Cgpsmapper is still in program files.  Mapsettoolkit did it's thing and the map was installed in mapsource......But.....when you click on it with the map tool in mapsource or mapinstall in Basecamp it won't "register".  I've loaded many maps into gpsr in the past but this one doesn't want to move.  It zooms in and out and good detail but it won't load. Four or five files came back in the release folder when I converted from mp to img, is there something I needed to do with one of them? I'm sorry for the trouble but thanks again.       lb

Seldom

Quote from: Horse Rider on May 25, 2010, 01:26:52 PM
......But.....when you click on it with the map tool in mapsource or mapinstall in Basecamp it won't "register". 

Glad it's starting to work, and welcome to the joys of debugging.

By won't register, do you mean that you can see it in MapSource, but it doesn't turn pink when you select it with the map select tool?

I haven't had that problem for a while, but when I did it was caused by a bad TDB or Basemap.IMG file.  Look at both of those with GPSMapedit and see if there's a rectangle for the map region.  If not try a semi-transparent or non-transparent map and see if those give you something you can pick.

Jimbob

By register I think OP might mean that it's not being selected for "send to device". Clear info means so much. Don't remember seldom_sn but I'm sure some body would have suggested zoom-in-out. Suggest OP that you start all over with your raw data and see what turns up. you now have more experience at least.

Horse Rider

OK, first of all...IT FINALLY WORKED!!!  Seldom-sn...to answer your question...It did NOT turn pink when selected with map select tool.  I went back to square one multiple times with the same results.  I talked to a computer programmer instructor at the college and they said that Windows 7 had a lot of issues with command line programs so I scrapped everything and downloaded Mapwel.  I spent a few days getting used to their system and got my trail looking like I wanted.  It's pretty user friendly after you get used to it.  Before I spent the $90 on the advanced version(so that I could export .img files) I sent them 2 emails asking about their compatibility with Windows 7, but have yet to get a reply.  Then I saw Seldom-sn's link in another post in "Map Making Support" about another "tutorial" on map making.  I started over again.  I opened cgpsmapper in my program files and copied  cgpsmapper..application        cpreview..application   sendgll..application.ext    all to my release folder along with my "map-name.mp" from mapedit.  Nothing would work unless all 3 of those files were there.  I clicked "Map-name.mp" and dragged and droped it on cgpsmapper.application and it converted to "Map-name.img".  Tool Kit would not accept this because it wasn't 8#.img.  I went back to map-edit....file..export..garmin.img...cgpsmapper and ended up with "Map-name.img" same as the other way.  I went back to map-edit..file...properties..left the ID with the same 8 digits but also put the 8 digits as the map name. It exported this time as 8#.img. I put it in toolkit and on to mapsource and gps. I tried the same thing in my release folder and dropped it on cgpsmapper and it worked there also. You guys are the computer genius, not me, I just know it worked.  I would be curious to know if anyone has used these programs with Win 7 and had any of the same results. Seldom-sn...Thank you, you're a good man to stick with me on this.  I know this is a long reply but this topic has stirred a lot of interest(maybe some laughs) being read over 900 times so maybe it might help someone else.  Thanks again to all       lb

Seldom

I do everything I described above in Win7-64bit.  I didn't see anything change when I migrated up from XP-pro-32bit.

Glad you've got it working.