GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Converting tracks to transparency

Started by Horse Rider, May 13, 2010, 11:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horse Rider

It seems like I've seen this topic before but I can't find it.  I log my tracks to the data card (Map60csx) for obvious size reasons and then upload to the PC.  I would like to take groups of say 10 or so logs and convert to an overlay and reinstall in unit.  I have both mapsource and basecamp (which I prefer) and mapedit(unregistered) and Depot's SE Topo.  I've read the tutorials but they deal with a lot of information I don't need.  It's probably simple but I need step by step. Do I also need Toolkit? Many thanks!!      lb

Boyd

There are a lot of ways to do this, although I have never tried myself. If the author would finally release his promised program, then this would no doubt be the easiest way: http://www.gpx2img.com/

Any software that reads .gpx files and outputs .mp files should work though. GlobalMapper would do it (expensive, but they will send you a free license key to evaluate). GPSMapEdit probably also would work.

Basically, you need to convert the tracks to one of the Garmin road types. With either of these solutions, you would use cgpsmapper to compile the transparent map. You could then use custom types (.typ files) to change its appearance.

Or a more user-friendly approach would be to use Mapwel. It has its own built-in compiler and editor for custom types, so it's a one-stop solution that doesn't need cgpsmapper. The free version works on your computer but won't send the map to your gps unless you buy a license.

Jimbob

If you should decide to tackle your own map it's not extremly difficult. Free software needed GPSmapedit, MapSetToolKit, CGPSMapper, all of which have links on this site. A good tutorial also is avaiable here which contains lots of steps that you can omit since you will be using only tracks, routes and waypoints. (you just load that data (gpx) in mapedit after downloading it from your GPSr to mapsource or basecamp. You will end up with a simple line map that can be displayed on top of other maps, say a topo. If you get started and stuck lots of folks here will help.
Good Luck

Seldom

I did a quick summary of tracks to a trail map in the second item on this thread:

http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,1015.0.html

Read further and you'll find some trials and tribulations.

Horse Rider

I apologize for not responding back on your replies until now but something came up I had to attend to.  On to the task at hand.  Boyd: I followed up on your link gpx2img but it's still not up and running.  It sounds like the ticket though.  Seldon sn: I followed your advice and did all the steps and ended up with a transparency mp file and tried to export to mapsource img through cgpsmapper that came up and then I've stalled.  I'm missing something at this point and not sure what and would appreciate more advice.  Thanks again!      lb

maps4gps

Seldom

Horserider, the following code is my quick and dirty command line way to compile MP files.  It will compile every MP in a folder to an IMG.

The "ac" switch below sets the IMG file name to match the 8 digit Map ID you set in GPSMapEdit.  For example if you have an MP file named MyTrails.MP and you have given it a Map ID on the Map Properties header tab of 12345678 it will create 12345678.IMG.

Save the batch file as MakeIMG.bat in the folder where you have the MP file you have created.  Also, edit the path to point to the location you have installed cgpsmapper.

Also, don't have any spaces in your file names.  My Trails.MP should be MyTrails.MP.
(Oz may know a way around this with a "for" loop in Command language, but I don't.)

path=c:\program files\cgpsmapper;%path%
for %%i in (*.mp) do cgpsmapper ac %%i
pause

Horse Rider

Quote from: maps4gps on May 16, 2010, 04:04:41 PM
You would need to use MapSetToolKit to get the .img file(s) into mapsource.  See:http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit      This is still a step ahead of me because I haven't been able to convert to img yet I loaded it into the gpsmapper "box" but couldn't get anything to happen.  It had the path to mapper exe labled but nothing would move.  It's like there is no way to initiate it.   Any how,  thanks for the input.     lb    Ok I just got Seldom sn's post so I'll try that after a while    Thanks

Horse Rider

OK, I must be a simpleton.  Here"s what I've got.  I ran 3 small tracks thru mapedit following Seldom's list and ended up with TrialTrack.mp...ID12345678    in my gps maps folder.  I downloaded batch scripts and copied the 3 files to release-version-1.00 folder along with cgpsmapper's exe. and sendg.dll files.  I opened transcodeQ in notepad (ok?) and typed in TrialTrack.mp...double clicked transcode.batch...double clicked process.  I saw cgpsmapper black screen come up briefly and disappear and then I had a transcode.log file but no transcodeQ in release folder (is that normal?).  I opened mapsettoolkit...clicked select img files....pointed it to release-version-1.00 and it said   No files containing 8 digit ID.  I tried drag and drop TrialTrack.mp to notepad with same result.  Both times I had to go back to my download and copy transcodeQ back to release folder.  Seldom, I did not try your quick and dirty command line suggestion because I didn't quite understand.  Command line is totally new to me.  Any ideas anyone?  It's probably simple and just me.  Once again   Many Thanks         lb

Seldom

Two suggestions/questions:
1) Did cgpsmapper output an IMG file?  If so, when you open it in GPSmapedit do you see anything you recognize?
2) My quick and dirty batch file works pretty much like the ones you downloaded from the tutorial, but it doesn't require all the interlinking between files.  Try it.  If it works, then you'll know you need to debug your batch file set up.

Horse Rider

If cgpsmapper output an img file I can't find it.  Where would it be?  What about the disappearing transcodeQ file?  Your quick and dirty does sound easy but I'm still confused with it.    lb

Seldom

The IMG file should be in the same folder with the MP file.

If your MapID is 12345678, your IMG file should be called 12345678.IMG.  That's what the "ac" in the command line is for.

If your copy of cgpsmapper is installed in c:\program files\cgpsmapper, my batch file should run from any folder on your machine (if it's not there, put it there or edit the path).  Once you have the path sorted out, put my batch file and your MP file in the same folder and double click on the batch file to run it.  It will open a blue command line window which will stay open long enough for you to see if it's worked or not.  Once you have an IMG try opening it with gpsmapedit to see if you see anything you recognize.  If you do, THEN put it into MapSource using MapSetToolKit.

Horse Rider

I have no img file.  My cgpsmapper is installed c:\program files (86)\cgpsmapper.  When you refer to my batch file, do you mean the "batch scripts" I downloaded from this site which came as "cgpsmapper.bat"?  If so, do you mean put cgpsmapper.bat and TrialTrack.mp in same folder and double click on cgpsmapper.bat?  Not on the individual files as per tutorial #9.  I know this sounds so simple to you but I'm trying to comprehend it step by step not really understanding what's taking place.  In the words of one of my friends, "I'm old as dirt" and have turned on a computer for the first time in feb 2010, but I'll get it.  Thank you       lb   

Seldom

It seems you are having a problem with the batch files you downloaded from the tutorial, so this might simplify things a little.  For the time being, forget about the BAT files you downloaded from this site.  Once you have this working, you can figure out what was going wrong with the other work flow.

Copy the following code into notepad.
path=c:\program files (x86)\cgpsmapper;%path%
for %%i in (*.mp) do cgpsmapper ac %%i
pause

Save the notepad file as makeIMG.bat.
Put makeIMG.bat and TrialTrack.mp into the same folder.
Doubleclick on the bat file.  It will run.  When its done you should have an IMG file in the same folder as the MP file. 

Horse Rider

Ok, I followed your post exactly and still no img file.  I even went back to mapedit and started over just to make sure. Either I did the same wrong thing or somethings wrong. When I double clicked on makeIMG.bat I did get a small black screen as before for only a second.  You mentioned a blue command line window but I didn't see it.  Should I remove cgpsmapper and download it again?  (I tried to put the quote of your last post in here but when I did it wouldn't let me type without jumping all over   ???)  anyway, I'm still lost        lb