Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Can't see Arch-Cany-Hikes on my OR300

Started by Seldom, May 06, 2010, 08:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

Problem is with:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/309

I'd write the author, but I know he's as baffled as I am.

This map works fine in MapSource/BaseCamp, and I have successfully sent it to a 512MB card and viewed it on my OR. But when I add it to the other maps on my main OR card, along with CNNANT and some transparent topo overlays, it doesn't show on the map or on the Enable Maps page.

If anybody has seen this sort of behavior before, or has successfully loaded the map, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,

Seldom

Thanks for checking.

I misunderstood the Marine flag.  Thought it meant streams and rivers.  That's been taken care of.

Regarding the URL.  In order to get that right, I need to submit an installable map.  So I guess I need to submit the map twice with the corrected URL the second time (or comment the URL reference out of the script.)

Polylines and revised installer will need to wait til I get back to my real computer.

maps4gps

In MapSource (not the latest version) when I select the quads they are listed in the box on left, however under area it says 'Overview ... ', rather than the mapset name. 

No issues with viewing the mapset on my OR300.  If both Indyjpr's Utah topo and AC are enabled, UT will displays over AC.  If both AC and my SW planimetric are enabled, AC displays over SW.

I have a few other mapsets (regular and overlay) enabled; however none cover the AC area.

Nice to have the wooded areas.  Glade you did not 'shade-in' the park areas. 
FYI - Indyjpr used road/street data from Utah Dept of Transportation.  It is much better for the 4WD in the Moab area then what is in the Census Tiger files. 

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on May 07, 2010, 09:54:57 AM
No issues with viewing the mapset on my OR300. 

Glad to know it works.  What firmware version do you have, and do you have a copy of CNNANT on the card with it?  I'm thinking I should format my card, and maybe have an FID conflict.

If both Indyjpr's Utah topo and AC are enabled, UT will displays over AC.  If both AC and my SW planimetric are enabled, AC displays over SW.

When I have non-transparent maps, I generally only display one at a time, and disable the others.  Is there a reason to be concerned with the draw order you describe?

I have a few other mapsets (regular and overlay) enabled; however none cover the AC area.

Nice to have the wooded areas.  Glade you did not 'shade-in' the park areas. 
FYI - Indyjpr used road/street data from Utah Dept of Transportation.  It is much better for the 4WD in the Moab area then what is in the Census Tiger files. 

Glad you like the wooded areas.  They were instructive.  I had do delete all the holes in them to get them to compile in mkgmap.  I'll check out the UTDOT maps for my next build, but I can feel the carpal tunnel coming on as I think of rebuilding the routing graph.

Thanks again.

maps4gps

Software 3.30 and gps software 3.70 - has not been updated since Nov, 2009.

No CN - was thinking about getting it, but some recent posts indicate Garmin's 24k topo is just as good for trails.  Do not need routing and the latest streets; however, the resturant, etc. POIs could be useful.

I bought a 4Gb card this past weekend; did not format it, and transfered the mapsets I had been using from the internal memory to it.  All seems to be working OK.

None of the three mapsets are overlay/transparent.  The draw order of the mapsets with the highest priority will display last.  To see SW I have to disable UT and AC.  To see AC I have to disable UT.

You did not keep the clearings in the woods?  I did the local 1x2 degree quad two years ago; it took so much time, I have not done any others.

If your map is also routable you should put that info (and more about the mapset)  in the description on the selection page with the download button.

Seldom

Thanks maps4gps for the comments and testing.  Must have been a problem on the memory card, because all the maps I have sent are showing up now that I've re-formatted the card.

Seldom

I see what you mean about the UDOT maps of 4WD roads near Moab.  But while the file I downloaded for Grand County (SGID93_TRANSPORTATION_Roads.zip) has much better alignment than the 2009 Tiger shapefiles, the road names and types are pretty imprecise.  3/4 of the roads are classified as A51 (Vehicular Trail).  Unfortunately, this covers too many actual types, from  Park Avenue in Arches which is a foot trail with steps, through the White Rim Road which is appropriate to lots of paved Arches parking.

maps4gps, do you have any thoughts of how to deal with this mix short of hours of manual edits?

maps4gps

Nothing short of hours and hours of one at a time - which I do not think is worth it.
Have the same situation with road/trail data from NFS and TIGER.