GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin 450

Started by fx4dugan, May 05, 2010, 02:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fx4dugan

New to gps and I am looking at the garmin 450, does any one know what software comes on it for maps and how good it is for roads?   I plan to buy the Inland Lakes software, and use it in my boat but wondering are the the base maps are good enough to get you around secondary roads around the lakes and rivers.  Also would I be better getting the 450t.  Are the Secodary roads better on on the topo version of the oregan 450.  I want to use this as an all around handheld, in boat, biking and in truck.  And the geocahing sounds fun too.  What are your guys toughts. 

By the way this is great site.  Already been very helpful.

Boyd

See this: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,1181.0.html

The basemap on the 450 (and all units without pre-loaded detailed maps) is pretty useless. It will only have a few of the major highways in your area, state boundaries and some major bodies of water, plus low resolution DEM data for shaded terrain.

maps4gps

There are numerous mapsets available here, both planimetric and topo which are close to the detail a USGS 1:24,000 scale printed to shows.  For lake water depths you would need Inland Lakes, however check your area of interest to see how complete Garmin's coverage is.

fx4dugan

Thanks for the response guys, I did check the coverage of both US topo and Inland Lakes, per your advice and was a little dissapointed with the lakes software.   The Topo seems OK for my areas but what Inland lakes didn't even show the 3 Marinas in my area.  I boat on the Mississipi and on lakes.   Not sure what way to go 450 or 450t,  I just want to spend my money the most effective way I can :-\.  Need to decide soon, I have trip coming up to Mark twain lake in MO.
Thanks again.

-Oz-

You could also install MapSource or basecamp and download some maps from here and see if those will meet your needs.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

fx4dugan

Well after much deliberation, I ordered a 450t.  Couldn't find one locally to get my hands on it and check it out.  Going on reviews and as much info as I could online.  Liked the idea of always having athe topo map with little more detail and not always having to go in and change which region I was going to possibly be in.  Also in live in Iowa and the I would have to but 3 24K topo maps to get the tristate area I am mostly in.:-[ It should be here today or Mon, can't wait to try it out. 

Which would you recommend using for interface software, Basecamp or Mapsource?

I have a fishing trip coming next weekend to Mark Twain lake, MO.  Will be a good time to try it out.  For now I am waiting on getting the Inland Lakes DVD until I research it more,  Don't want to buy it if there is something better to use.   Also when using to maps like Island Maps is it used in conjunction with the topo map, can one be transparent, or is it a either or. 

Like I said I am new to the whole GPS thing, and learning as I go.  I will definately post after my trip on how well I like the 450t.

Thanks again for the advice so far.