GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Maps won't unlock-Mac

Started by Sayewhat, May 04, 2010, 06:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sayewhat

I've gone through the tutorials and installed the map just as described and still not able to get it.

I'm on a Mac 10.6.3
Garmin Oregon 450
Basemap 3.0.1.0
MapInstall 2.1.5

Installing Ibycus USA and the North Carolina map

It adds it into the Garmin folder on the SD card as a file called gmapsupp.img. I've also tried putting the file in the custom map folder and also tried changing the name. Still nothing.

Anyone have a solution? I thought this was easy. Maybe I'm not installing right through Mapinstall.

Thanks

Boyd

I have seen multiple posts about unlock issues from Mac users with maps that shouldn't be locked. But I don't recall seeing any solutions. Seems like this may be a bug in the Mac software. Do you have access to a PC that you could use to install the map?

Seldom

Are you getting a "Can't unlock maps" message?

How big is the gmapsupp.img file?

What kind of message do you get when you try to enable the gmapsupp.img?

The gmapsupp.img should be in the Garmin folder, not the CustomMaps folder.  The CustomMaps folder is meant for KMZ raster graphics. 

Also, if you have any Garmin products like CNNANT on your OR, they will take precedence over anything that is not transparent.  You may need to disable them to see Ibycus and North Carolina.

Sayewhat

I guess it is some Mac software problem. Hopefully a patch comes out to fix it. I'm not a fan going back on to Windows, but looks like I have to for this.

The gmapsupp.img file is 569.2 mb. The message says cannot unlock maps. The other maps do not show up at all in the map menu.

Thanks all.

aaronhoffman

Did you ever have success loading the maps with your Mac? I am having the same problem.

Sayewhat

I added it into the GPS not the SD card and it worked. I don't know why, but it only worked by putting the file on the GPS itself.

aaronhoffman

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Sayewhat on October 12, 2010, 05:31:16 PM
I added it into the GPS not the SD card and it worked. I don't know why, but it only worked by putting the file on the GPS itself.
I use a Mac and have never seen any type of issue like this. I know that the software and maps are fine. Only once in a while are users having this sort of problem but I haven't been able to replicate it.

Boyd

In the past, hidden MacOSX files (ones whose names begin with a period) have caused problems with various versions of Garmin firmware. You might try removing any files like this, although you might need a PC to do it since some of them are created automatically by just mounting the unit on a Mac.