News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

USA Maps Locking Up My Colorado

Started by Munchygut, April 22, 2010, 02:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munchygut

Greetings,

Using my Mac, I downloaded and installed the US Maps (IbycusU2.gmapi) on my Garmin Colorado 400t.  Now, when I start up, it gets to the point of loading maps, then locks up.  I went into the Garmin to move the maps to the sim card to see if that would work, and to delete it if it didn't.  However, I can't find the maps file (gmapsupp.img) on the Garmin.  Does the gmapi gut a file that is not gmapsupp.img on the Garmin?  Can anyone tell me how I can find the correct file and get it off so I can start over?

Thanks in advance!

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Munchygut

Dan, that did the trick...thank you very much!  The instructions from the Ibycus web site instructed me to download and unzip the file IbycusU2.tar, which produced the uncompressed file IbycusU2.gmapi.  When I ran this file, it had its own installer which ran and that's where my problem began. 

While trying to fix it I found a folder on the Garmin named ExtData which I didn't recognize.  It contained three files:  006-D1221-00.BIN, ARC.BIN, and BEE.BIN.  I backed up these files and deleted them from the Garmin.  Although the 400 is up and running fine, I am curious as to whether these files were added during the install or they are Garmin files that should be on the device.  Do you recognize them?

Thanks again!
-Chris

Indrid Cold

Does your Colorado 400t have US maps? I don't know what you have to gain by adding the Ibycus maps if so.

Munchygut

The unit came with Topo maps installed.  it shows roads but it seems like I get more detail with Ibycus maps installed.  Could be a figment of my imagination.  Garmin has never been very clear on the file structure on the 400 so there are a lot of files that I don't understand.  I don't even know which files represent the Topo maps, to tell the truth.  Maybe that's what the .BIN files are.  They seem to be a bunch of compressed files.

Munchygut

I also noticed that my Topo map is gone.  I can't seem to be able to find the file that contains it.

Boyd

The topo map should be in the file named gmapprom.img inside the Garmin folder. If you deleted it, I hope you have a backup!  :o

Munchygut

First thing I did when I brought it home was to back up the original file structure.  A good backup and helpful folks like yourself are what gives me the freedom to mess around and learn a few things about my GPSr!   I just wasn't sure which file it was.  Thanks for that.

Boyd

Great that you have a backup, and I should probably follow my own advice more often in fact.  :)

As a general principle, you can just look at file sizes and get a pretty good idea of which map is which. US Topo 100k is close to 3gb. When I make my own maps I have a fair idea of their size and later that helps give me a clue of which .img file is which when I have multiple versions of a map.

Munchygut

It became pretty obvious once I dragged it to the Garmin.  The file has been copying since my last post.  Getting old sucks, brain farts have become part of my day. To be honest with you, I didn't even think of looking through the backup files until you mentioned it.

I use a Mac which comes with Time Machine.  It automatically backs up my HD multiple times a day and goes back about six weeks.  If I screw up, I just go back a couple of hours/days and drag the original file to the present and I'm good to go.  If you use a Mac, I highly recommend it, if you don't, there's got to be a similar app for Windows.

I'm new to this board and I find it to be very interesting.  I originally bought the GPSr for Geocaching but the longer I've had it, the more I seem to be concentrating on the technology and other uses for it. I plan on spending some time reading up.  I am curious though, what do you do with all of these wonderful maps that you make besides giving them away to cheapskates like me who don't want to pay Garmin for the US Maps?

Boyd

I have been Mac based since the beginning... got my first "fat Mac" in 1985 after being one of the first 5000 people to buy an Apple ][ in 1978. So I do use Time Machine and agree that it's great (although it may have issues with backup snapshots of things like projects you are editing in Final Cut Pro).

As I got serious about mapmaking over the past couple years it became obvious that I would need a fast PC for that. Unfortunately the best GIS/mapping applications don't exist on the Mac and I wonder if they ever will. Some of them, like GPSMapEdit, cgpsmapper and Mapwel seem to be "labors of love" for their authors and I don't think they have the resources to support multiple platforms. I am not as diligent as I should be about backing up my main Windows machine (running Vista 64), so if there is something that works as easily and as well as Time Machine, I need to find it.

As to why I, or anyone else on this site, spends so much time creating free maps.... damned if I know! Doesn't make much sense, does it? ;D Seriously though, for me, I like to create maps of areas that I spend my time in. There is something rewarding about actually driving and hiking around your own map, made just the way you like it. If the map also helps somebody else enjoy themselves, then that's another bonus.

Munchygut

Those were the days!  I used to be a computer tech here in the Chicago area back when the Apple ][ was gaining it's popularity.  I started out with an Apple/// then a Mac 128.  We also used to service Alpha Micros, a multi user S100 bus machine.  Had a M68000 processor, the same one used in the Mac years later.  Worked for Apple for 10 years until they tried to spend themselves out of business in '96 and laid us all off. 

Boyd

Very cool!  8) We got an Apple /// at work back around 1982 maybe? It had the "Profile" external hard disk, which was bigger than many of today's whole computers and packed an amazing 5MB of storage!

Munchygut

-Oz-

MY first pentium at 233mhz cost over $2k.  I also had the first cd burner between all my friends; it went 8x which was insane; $300...  Ah the good old days.

Anyway I make free maps because the current quality and cost bothered me and I knew I could do better.  I even just build a quad core computer pretty much for the entire purpose of continuing to build maps and process the data faster.  Now I just need faster internet.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!