News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Creating Garmin Maps with ArcGIS 9.2

Started by Dustin, April 16, 2010, 04:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin

Hi there,
I just registered here, after reading for a while... :-)
I'm attending the univerity of Münster [Germany], my subject is Geology. We are working with ArcGIS (Desktop) an I was wondering if I can create Maps for my Garmin-Device (Colorado), using ArcGIS? I had a look at the Tutorials, but they are always using different software. I wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I think I get along in ArcGIS, so I'd like to avoid to start all over with different software if it isn't necessary...

I hope this Topic wasn't already discussed, I didn't find it though.

Thank you very much,

Dustin

Seldom

Does ArcGIS export to MP format?  If not, you can use GPSmapedit to import shapefiles and export the product into MP format.

cgpsmapper is the standard homemade map compiler to convert MP format into IMG files your CO can read.  I don't know of any Garmin handheld that doesn't support IMG format files.

Your maps won't be routable unless you either use an expensive cgpsmapper compiler, submit them to MapCenter for compilation, or use the OSM compiler, mkgmap.  This site provides you with thorough tutorials on making non-routable topos with cgpsmapper.  Search the OSM site for tips on using mkgmap.

Boyd

If it can create .kmz JPEG files, then you could also use it to make "custom maps" for your Colorado.

-Oz-

ArcGIS definitely won't just load the map.  You can use it to do heavy editing and then export shapefiles if you want and use cgpsmapper to load them or export shapefiles and load them into something like GPSMapEdit to create the .mp files.  If I remember correctly ArcGIS didn't export .mp files directly.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!