GPSFileDepot.com

Loading a file .img file to roadtrip or basecamp

Started by realgroovy, April 23, 2010, 09:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realgroovy

Hi I am new to this and I wondered if you can help me.

I downloaded map data from the next and have now a .img file on my harddisk.  How do i get this map data into roadtrip or basecamp?

I am on a mac and I don't have the garmin with me at the moment.  I only want to load the map data into roadtrip or basecamp and then later feed it into the garmin. Possible?

Boyd

Unfortunately the Mac is lacking some of the tools available on Windows for mapmaking. This tutorial explains how to do in under Windows. Can you run Windows under bootcamp or Parallels on your Mac maybe? Or use somebody else's machine perhaps? http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/

After going through the steps above, you would then need to convert the map to Mac format using MapConverter which you can download from Garmin's site.

But where did you get the map file? Mac installers are already provided for many of the maps on this site.

realgroovy

Hi Boyd

Thanks a lot for this.  I planning a motorbike trip from India to Germany and need to source navigatable maps for the way.  I found them on here:

http://pkmaps.freeforums.org/routable-islamabad-street-map-for-garmin-gps-devices-t7.html

They seem to have good maps for Pakistan.

I will get bootcamp or parallel installed early next week. 

I also have a few downloaded maps in the mac format.  How do i load them into basecamp or roadtrip?  Sorry maybe i just don't get?:).

Boyd

That link doesn't work.

This tutorial explains how to load maps with your Mac, assuming that an installer was provided for them: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

realgroovy

Sorry about this.  Could I also upload the maps without the GPS device on the computer?

-Oz-

You could upload them to a microSD card without the GPS connected; just use a card reader.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

realgroovy

I meant I have the files on my harddisk  and would like to laod them in roadtrip or basecamp.  No GPS or card reader connected.  Is this possible?

-Oz-

What is the name of the file?

What map is this?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Problem is, Roadtrip, Basecamp and Mapsource don't work like "normal" programs where you can just go and open a file. Maps need to be installed into these programs. So you can't just "load" a .img file, it needs to have additional data associated with it to work.

This seems to be evolving however. The newest version of BaseCamp can access some kinds of map files directly from the GPS when it is connected to your computer. This only works with full mapsets which are provided by Garmin evidently. For example, I could open the City Navigator Map directly from my Nuvi and the US Topo map directly from my Oregon when connected to my computer using Basecamp.

It does not work on mapsets that you create yourself by selecting tiles in Mapsource and sending them to the GPS. It is not clear to me whether this is intentional or not.