GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPSMAP 78 series first look

Started by Indrid Cold, April 23, 2010, 05:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indrid Cold

Updates a classic with BirdsEye, Garmin Custom Maps... and more.

GPSMAP 78sc
GPSMAP 78s
GPSMAP 78

COMPARE UNITS

And the BIG picture: LINK

Boyd

Here's something nice about these that I haven't seen mentioned yet. In addition to BirdsEye they are also "custom map" compatible (Garmin .kmz raster maps). https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=63603#specsTab

-Oz-

That is nice; Garmin had better update the 60csx next but they really need to be careful not to screw it up. Heck they could almost just use the same shell and update the software to allow everything else and it'd be a great unit.

I think the 78 series is kinda ugly looking.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

Yeah, kind of looks like something off Batman's belt ;)

I've heard rumors of a GPSMAP 62 series, my guess is pretty much the same 3 units in a different form (more of a radio look) with a topo model instead of the bluecharts:
GPSMAP62, GPSMAP62s, GPSMAP62st

-Oz-

That would be the best move; as long as it looks more outdoorsy than this one :)
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

Les, checkout the "Big picture" link in the OP at full scale. Both "MOB" & "MARK" are on the front panel.

As far as chipset, some are reporting a SiRF: LINK

Indrid Cold

leszekp

Cool - that was my biggest gripe about the Oregon 450, that there wasn't quick access to the waypoint marking function. Don't know what to think about the Sirf chipset, since this is likely very different from the old reliable SirfStarIII thanks to the patent issues. I'm hoping that Garmin realized that the Cartesio chipset wasn't working out (especially with WAAS reception), and went to a better option.

Scott at GPSFix has some indirect evidence that a model 62 may be announced shortly:

http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-gpsmap-62/

Boyd

Quote from: leszekp on April 28, 2010, 03:53:31 PM
I'm hoping that Garmin realized that the Cartesio chipset wasn't working out (especially with WAAS reception), and went to a better option.

From the link you posted....

"Unfortunately the part numbers and insignias on the electronic components were blacked out but based on the shapes, sizes and locations of the devices it seems that the GPSMAP 78 is probably based on the STM Cartesio GPS chipset (large square device, slightly left of center) and other electronics found in the Oregon x50"