GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Dakota 10 - Removing maps

Started by bevbeng, April 17, 2010, 03:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bevbeng

How do you  remove the maps from a Garmin Dakota 10?  I just got one and was learning the menus and adding topo maps.  There is no mention of how to remove maps in the manual.  Thanks.

Boyd

How did you install the maps in the first place? Connect the Dakota to your computer and open it like a disk to view the contents of the Garmin folder. What files do you see in there? If you used Mapsource to install the maps, they will be contained in a file named gmapsupp.img.

bevbeng

Hello - I installed the topo maps using MapSource.  I do have the gmapsupp.img file.  Is that the topo map I added, is that the original or are both maps now combined (somehow).  Many thanks.

Boyd

If you used mapsource to combine more than one mapset and send to the GPS, then yes, gmapsupp.img will contain everything.

Your Dakota supports extended map filenames however. So you could rename gmapsupp.img with something more descriptive, like OhioTopo.img (or whatever). If you don't need the map on your gps, copy it to a folder on your computer for future use. Mapsource will always name its file gmapsupp.img. But you can change the name and start building a library of maps which can be transferred to your Dakota by dragging/dropping the files. If you use this technique, you should not combine different mapsets when sending to the GPS with mapsource. That technique is required on older GPS'es that only recognize one file (gmapsupp.img).

bevbeng

Many thanks.  I just went through a similar exercise with my Zumo 550 updating an older map to a current version from scratch.