News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

About my new Oregon 450

Started by Crew, April 12, 2010, 04:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crew

Hello all,
I just bought my first GPSr, an Oregon 450. I love this thing! I'm having a great time learning it's different functions. There is one glitch that I've come across though and would like know if I've missed something. With the latest updates on the Oregon and Basecamp, whenever I plug the 450 into my PC Basecamp will not read the 4 gig micro SD card. It says theres a problem and the the folder is greyed out. I am able to drop jpegs on the card through explorer and view the pics on the Oregon. Anyone familiar with this problem?
Crew  ;D
Where did I put my glasses (taking off glasses to clean on shirt tail)....oh!

Boyd

Yes, it has been discussed both here and in Garmin's own support forums. The developers say that some applications don't create .kmz files using the full spec. Evidently the Oregon itself is more forgiving than BaseCamp. The developers said they are working on a fix for this. There is also an issue with not reading (or not finding) another system file on the memory card - I get that error from basecamp every time I plug the Oregon in.

Also, the new Oregon system software causes all text to disappear from my regular Garmin maps (the US top 100k map as well as several that I made myself). So nothing is labelled. This bug has been widely reported as well. Garmin says they are working on a fix.

The bottom line is that the current BaseCamp release as well as the Oregon firmware have a number of bugs, But if you want to use the new BirdsEye imagery you must use these versions because the earlier releases didn't support BirdsEye.

Personally, I am impressed with all of the nice new features in BaseCamp and can be patient while Garmin fixes the bugs. You could always go back to an earlier version or use Mapsource instead if you don't need BirdsEye.

Crew

Ok I see. Thanks for the response.
Basecamp is looking for garmin/GPX/userdata.gpx on the sd card, which of course is not there.
This being my first GPSr I've never had a chance to use Mapsource so will continue to enjoy Basecamp and wait for the fixes. Again thanks for the insight.
Crew

Crew

Thanks I'll give it a try!

Crew

Cudo's, worked like a charm, no more error.
Thanks,
Crew

Boyd

Just noticed these. Cool, I will give it a try and see if the labels return to my Oregon 400t. If everything works, I may pull the trigger on a BirdsEye subscription. Maybe...  ;)