GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Drawing Boundry Lines

Started by Chaos, April 12, 2010, 08:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaos

Is there any way to use mapsource to draw boundry lines, ie property boundries, or shade specific areas on my maps?

eaparks

The easiest thing for you to do is to create a track using Mapsource after you have saved the coordinates for your property corners.  Create the track from corner (waypoint) to the next corner and set the GPS to display the track on the GPS screen.  Since your starting point and ending point will be the same location (inorder to close your property boundary) create 2 waypoints with the same coordinates but give them different names; use one for the start and the other for the end. 

If you are wanting to get more involved than this you may want to read the tutorials on making custom maps.

-Oz-

The best option for shading would be to create an "easy" custom map.  If you just want area you can do "tracks" with MapSource.  With the Garmin Dakota (and probably others) you can do area by walking the perimeter as well.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

birdnMN

I'm curious what you mean by "easy" custom maps.  I'm interested in doing something similar with a boundary.

-Oz-

Download GPSMapEdit http://www.geopainting.com/en/, load your track into the program, convert it to a polygon and then create a transparent map.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

birdnMN

I did get GPSMapEdit and work in it for awhile.  I found a really simple tutorial for exactly what I need at http://www.gpssledmaps.com/guide/quick_map.php    It was very useful except I got stuck at step 10.  Perhaps this tutorial was written for a previous version if the program.  If you would happen to have any insight on this process outlined on this website I could explain where i"m getting hung up and maybe you could help. 

Seldom

You need a copy of cgpsmapper installed on your machine, and you need to tell GPSmapEdit the path to it.

Get it here:
http://www.cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm

birdnMN

Thank you kindly seldom.  Now it makes perfect sense.  Unfortunately once I get the path entered and hit run I get an error message.  Maybe I'll try and redownloand cgpsmapper.   

Jimbob

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps/
the above link will give you the long version for creating what you need. Many steps can be omitted as you are working with limited dat. Read thry it all and you can get the gist of it plus it lets you know all the software you need. After saving your file in GPSmapedit you need to change that filename back to an 8 didgit .img file for use in Mapset toolkit

Seldom

Quote from: birdnMN on April 15, 2010, 11:17:06 AM
Thank you kindly seldom.  Now it makes perfect sense.  Unfortunately once I get the path entered and hit run I get an error message.  Maybe I'll try and redownloand cgpsmapper.   

What's the error message?  You may want to try the batch file below to isolate whether it's GPSMapedit link problem or a problem with your Polish source code.  Make sure the path is correct.  Drop it into the directory with the MP files, and double click on it.

path=c:\program files\cgpsmapper;%path%
for %%i in (*.mp) do cgpsmapper ac %%i
pause

FWIW, I always compile from the batch file rather than a GPSmapedit link.

birdnMN

... has terminated with error code:  1073741795

I don't know how to use a batch file.  I would need some help with that one.  It certainly would be useful to know which program was malfunctioning. 

I've got free versions of both programs.  Do I need to purchase a upgraded version for these last couple of steps. 

Jimbob:  I've looked through the tutorial one this site.  I found the one at the gps sledmaps site easier to understand and it only included the steps I needed to make a transparent map with all my tracks. 

Seldom

The free versions of both programs should work.

To create the batch file copy the contents of the code window into a text editor like Notepad.

Save the file in the folder with the MP files as something like Makeimg.bat.

Double click on the batch file in Windows Explorer.  It will open a blue window and you will see cgpsmapper compiling the map.

birdnMN

This "'raw' computer stuff is a little out of my league but I tried it anyways.  I'm not sure but I think the MP files your talking about are the tracks I'm trying to make a map with.   I put the polish file of the desired tracks and the notepad file into a folder together and double clicked on the notepad file.  It did open a new black window titled: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe  that looks just like the cGPSmapper window.  It ran a couple lines of text and ends with: press any key to continue.  When I hit a key the window is gone.  I should also mention that if I try to open
cGPSmapper from the start> programs menu the window opens for a few seconds and then closes on it's own. 

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\New Folder>path=c:\program files\cg
psmapper;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program File
s\Common Files\DivX Shared\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program File
s\ImageConverter Plus;C:\Program Files\ImageConverter Plus\Microsoft.VC80.CRT;C:
\Program Files\ImageConverter Plus\Microsoft.VC80.MFC;

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\New Folder>for %i in (*.mp) do cgps
mapper ac %i

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\New Folder>cgpsmapper ac lincoln pa
rk trail map.mp

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\New Folder>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Sorry for my confusion and thanks again for the help.  I'm just so close to getting this that I can't stop now. 

Boyd

Quote from: birdnMN on April 16, 2010, 06:33:02 AM
This "'raw' computer stuff is a little out of my league but I tried it anyways.

You might have a look at Mapwel in that case. It is more user-friendly and is completely self-contained (does not use cgpsmapper). It's not free, but the demo version is fully functional on the computer. When you send the file to the GPS however, it will have details stripped out unless you purchase a license. http://www.mapwel.eu/

Seldom

Quote from: birdnMN on April 16, 2010, 06:33:02 AM
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\New Folder>cgpsmapper ac lincoln pa
rk trail map.mp
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\New Folder>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

At least one problem is that you have spaces in your file name.  cgpsmapper thinks the command ends at the first space.  Rename your file lincolnpark.mp or trailmap.mp and try again. 

The "ac" switch will name the output IMG file to be the 8 digit map name you assign in the GPSmapedit properties box.  The rest of the batch file is to do multiple MP files, so it can run all night if needed.