GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Upgrading from a 60Csx?

Started by Stormstaff, April 08, 2010, 02:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormstaff

General GPS using (hunting, hiking, etc) and geocaching.

Would you folks suggest the Oregon 300 or the Oregon 450?

It may see some limited car time also.

Thanks in advance!!

Seldom

Depends on price.  I understand the 450 has a nicer compass.

Stormstaff

I can find them within $15 of each other so cost difference is a moot point

Boyd

Definitely the 450. Lots of good comments on the new triaxial compass. It works in any position but with the 300 you need to hold the GPS flat with the screen facing the sky. The screen on the 450 is supposed to be a little easier to read in challenging conditions also.

Stormstaff

I heard something about there not being a POI function on the 450 when using it while driving but that seemed odd to me. Anything known about this? Maybe it doesn't work with stock base map, ie CN is needed?

I don't know. I feel like such a noob. I'm just trying to do all my research before dropping that kind of cash.

Boyd

The basemap isn't good for much. You will want to add detailed maps, either from here or purchased from Garmin.

Stormstaff

Quote from: Boyd on April 08, 2010, 08:13:14 AM
The basemap isn't good for much. You will want to add detailed maps, either from here or purchased from Garmin.

Have you heard of any problems with POI's though?

Boyd

The basemap will have almost no POI's. It only contains a few very major roads, cities and bodies of water for each state. I have an Oregon 400t with the full US topo, so I don't know what kind of basemap the 450 contains, but I know the amount of detail is really sparse. US Topo is about 3GB and the regular basemap is under 50MB.

Stormstaff

Thanks for the info and help!

Now I need to convince the wife I need a new one and maybe check into selling my 60Csx

Boyd

Here's something I didn't know before: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=7497

Quote from: REBISJCGLast but not least, is there a way to delete Tracks off of my Oregon using BaseCamp after I have transferred them to the computer?

Quote from: azdrmnIf you have an Oregon 450 or 550 (or Dakota), then yes. Those devices support the new sync data model which allows BaseCamp to delete the data from the device. If you have an older Oregon, unfortunately the answer is no.

Stormstaff

Boyd

What? Why?

My only point was that the new models has a feature that lets you sync them to your Basecamp collection and the old ones don't. I don't see that as a problem (I have an old one) myself - it isn't hard to manually copy or delete things. But just thought it was interesting, and it's not something that I've read before.

Stormstaff

Oh! I read it as once the tracks were on there, you couldn't get them off which seemed dumb to me.

See, I am a noob! LOL