GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Data set for Forest Service Road Numbers

Started by kar2run, March 25, 2010, 11:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kar2run

New to the group and thrilled with what information is here. Also just bought a Garmin Map 60 csx.
I like this unit but still learning to use it, I had a Magellan sport track foreever until the serrial chip died. Have Mapsource & 24k West Garmin topos but they don't seem to have the same geo/land points in the data (mines, rivers etc) to search that Mapsend had. At this point I feel I need to build the data to add to Topo California (it only brings up "well" as a findable feature). I am working through the tutorials but would like to find data for Forest Service Road Numbers. Thanks for the foum. ken

maps4gps

Laura decided not to include 'POIs' from USGS GNIS files (names of physical features, etc).

FS was creating a data set for motorized usage which by default would also included those which were non-motorized. I was told it was supposed to be finished nationally by end of 2008 and digital files available to the public.  Last summer I was told that some forests got an extension to end of 2009.  I have never found any of the data on the Forest Service website.  You may be able to get the data in digital form from the CA state FS GIS office or one of the 'forest' offices.

FYI - On some 4 wheel drive trails our group went on last summer, Garmin's City Navigator was more complete and accurate than the trail info I had from FS.  With the trails showing on the GPSr, the need to know the FS number for them was greatly reduced.

kar2run

Thanks for the info. I will keep looking. ken

Jimbob

At this point the requirement for updated roads/trails in NF has not been met. Most NF are divided into regions and the regions are responsible for the placement of existing/future routes. I just completed a map of the Gila NF here in NM and have it posted on this site. I believe your best bet will be to start with CA NF site then work down to individual forests, then regions and see what may be available. Most should have proposed maps available in PDF, paper or perhaps SHP files.

Jimbob

FYI I have downloaded directly from NF sites their shapefiles.  You are correct though that they all do not post them. But they can be requested if they are not site posted.