GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Started by reficuul, April 05, 2010, 10:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reficuul

Wondering if there is a nice map out there that will show me all of the trails as well as the POI's like campgrounds and summits...

Just bought a new GPS and I want to test it out before I purchase the garmin national park software CDs.

Thanks,

~refi

jbensman

My My Trails has trails and campgrounds in GSMNP.  My POIs has the sumits

reficuul

thanks man...

now any idea how these work??

I installed the my trails and when i pull it up on mapsource all i get is a bunch of black dots... doesn't seem to have any trails on it...

He says that it works with city navigator, however, I never got that w/ my garmin product.

any ideas/help from anyone??

Thanks,

~refi

jbensman

In Mapsource set detail to highest.  You have to be zoomed in to at least the 7 mile setting.  If you are zoomed out more, all you see is a black dot.  Switch to another map and find the smokies and then switch to my trails.  Then you will see the stuff for the park.

The map is a transparent overlay and designed for use on the GPS.  You need to load it onto your GPS with another street map (such as City Navigator) or a topo map.  Then in your GPS you will see the street or topo map with the maps I made showing on top of the other maps.   

reficuul

Jim,

Is there a way that you can use the "Auto-Routing" tool that Map source offers with your "My Trails" map pack?

reficuul

It doesn't seem to auto map, but i can zoom in and add the route tool to the point where i have a ton of little flags...

is that the only way to route a trip?

Boyd

Almost none (if any) of the maps on this site support routing. Routing requires that the map be constructed in a special way and it gets complicated. On a non-routable map, you can insert waypoints along a road and you will be routed in a straight line between them, regardless of where the road twists and turns. Routes can only have a limited number of waypoints though - something like 50, or maybe 100.

reficuul

Quote from: Boyd on April 14, 2010, 11:49:46 AM
Almost none (if any) of the maps on this site support routing. Routing requires that the map be constructed in a special way and it gets complicated. On a non-routable map, you can insert waypoints along a road and you will be routed in a straight line between them, regardless of where the road twists and turns. Routes can only have a limited number of waypoints though - something like 50, or maybe 100.

so I can break up the route into trails so to speak... And just have 10 different routes, w/ 100 of those flags on each route??

Will you see all those little flags Via Points (i think they are called) on the GPS??

-Oz-

If you see the via points on the waypoints list you will see them on the GPS.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

alpine

Via points don't count as Waypoints. You can have as many as 200. This is GPSr dependent, as different models of GPSr have different amounts of memory.