GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin mapsource headaces

Started by deepspace, December 21, 2008, 11:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepspace

Wondering if any one has had this happen. I created my .imp files placed into garmin custom folder. Map source would not show the maps, but thats not the issue. I dropped the files onto my micro sd disk. When I re-opened map source I ended up with a warning there is a problem with product 7 instillation, re-instal and open map source again. I went through all the registry issue's found on the net none of them solved the problem. So I removed everything, cleaned up the registry by hand and with Jv16 power tools. Did a fresh install from disk and upgrade down load to ver. 6. xx and still get the same error. Not only that I see my map on the sd card with the gamin file but do not see the map when I attempt to bring it up on the hand held (60 csx) geesh this is driving me nuts.
Thanks-Marc

-Oz-

Alright, did you use mapsettoolkit to install the map into mapsource?

You can't just drag the .img files to the microsd disk.  Garmin MapSource has to compile them with all its "stuff" and then send 1 type of .img file to the card.  The newest version of mapsource is 6.14.1.

Now, if you used mapsettoolkit what settings did you use.  If you didn't use it I'd bet that is some of the issue. 

Also, do you have US Topo West? If so that is what "product 7" is in the registry.

Before you go reinstalling everything lets see if we can't help you out.

Also, if you attach or send me your .img files I could probably help create a setup file for you. (services @ gpsfiledepot.com (remove the spaces around the @)).

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

I did find out the topo west part. I did use Mapsettools to create the files. I have them in a custom folder in Garmin. You see when I try to open the files in map source it always states its not a valid file format. That is why I just drug them over. Other than the large .img file here are the files created by mapsettoolskit:

FROM THE .REG FILE CREATED:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\Olympic Peninsula]
"ID"=hex:01,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\Olympic Peninsula\1]
"LOC"="C:\\washington\\final\\"
"BMAP"="C:\\washington\\final\\Olympic Peninsula.img"
"TDB"="C:\\washington\\final\\Olympic Peninsula.tdb"

FROM THE TDB:

P,   ,Olympic Peninsula d Olympic Peninsula D¦   Marc Hilt  NOB.BMP   gps_mapper   Mapset was created using MapSetToolKit 1.50   This map was created using free version of GPS_mapper Creator, 2000-2008 B*          n"  娠 Æ!  1§Olympic Peninsula L; Ø"¹      n"  娠 Æ!  1§Olympic Peninsula   á £ÖÐ ží  

FROM THE SMALLER .IMG FILE CREATED BY MAPSETTOOLS:
  l   DSKIMG                                 Ø  GARMIN  Preview Map                 ÿÿ                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             àÿ                                                       Uª                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ09999999RGN°                    ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ09999999TREV                   ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ09999999LBLJ                   ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ} GARMIN RGN Ø  )}   3   °                           °                           °                                       J  ±[ÿ   yòd   Tl 
#  Oþ[ÿK   Oþ[ÿ yˆ
   "'  ¶                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                ¼ GARMIN TRE Õ  ) n" å¨ Æ! 1§     â   0   Ü           
                                    –˜     !  4   
  !             7y(–Îye 6y¹ 6y¹                   cgpsmapper version0097c DEFAULT   #        ¨ "Ú€T     €€ ¨ "±¥    € ¨ "±¥ 3   ˆ  JK                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 ì GARMIN LBL Ø  )  C    J           J           J          €J           J           J           J           J           J           J           ä €ì      J          J          J      .     J            map created with cgpsmapper P,S ÐP 0N8õ P<Á?<ÆM@À@S‰v¡š( £4
!APQ \• ...AÆœ=ÃÃÍIÃ<ß                                                                                                                                                                                     

-Oz-

How large are the files if you zip them all?

MapSource can't open the image files.  You should be able to select Olympic Peninsula from the drop down in the upper left AFTER you double click that reg file to run it. Does that work?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Duh! I admit in the 2 years since I got into these handhelds I had only opened map source 1 other time. Usually I use another map program to see where I have been but missing this was a real brain fart. Know to just figure the correct methods to get it on the hand held.
Thanks for helping out the blind!
Cheers-Marc

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

deepspace

Oz, Thanks I did find that, the map loaded correctly, everything is as I wanted. Now I am going to work on the whole state. Thanks again.
Cheers-Marc