GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Basecamp vrs. Mapsource

Started by Jimbob, April 03, 2010, 07:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

Thanks for looking into that. The white area is (I think) related to the 1024x1024 tile size that I'm using, and has something to do with where it falls in the source image.

But it just seems to me that if the file works fine on the GPS, then it should also work on the computer.

Jimbob

Hi folks, only shooting in the dark here, but could the GPSr firmware be ahead of the software updates. Lately I have been tracing almost all weird things to either me or updates.

Boyd

The firmware on the Oregon isn't "ahead" of anything. The latest official (non-beta) release has broken all my vector based maps. It has been widely reported that this version makes all the street labels disappear. Actually it's even worse than that. It makes ALL TEXT disappear - nothing has a label. And this is the only version that supports BirdsEye.

Garmin says they are working on it....

-Oz-

Yea, same issues with the Dakota...
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

astainback

Can you load GpsFileDepot maps onto your gpsr with basecamp?  I don't see a select map function.
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

astainback

I hadn't plugged the GPS up to the PC, so I didn't try that already.
Garmin Montana 610
Garmin VivoActive HR

alpine

So far the only advantage I've seen in Basecamp is that it allows you to see the maps installed on the GPSr. Since I don't (and most most likely will not ) do Birds Eye, it appears to be easier to edit tracks and make routes with MapSource.

And since TopoFusion is a lot cheaper than BirdsEye, I'll stick with MapSource.

Boyd

I don't think TopoFusion is any substitute for BirdsEye, is it? I think it's just another tool for making custom maps - which are great, I have posted a number of them here myself. But custom maps are limited to 100 jpeg's at 1024x1024. So using .5 meter resolution, like BirdsEye you would be limited to coverage of an area about 5 km x 5 km. BirdsEye imagery is only limited by the amount of memory on the device or storage card.

It seems to render the images faster than custom .kmz maps and they also appear throughout the full range of zoom levels which is not the case for custom maps. The .jnx BirdsEye files would offer a lot more potential for us to make our own raster based maps.