GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Pulling map off of SD card to Mapsource

Started by Cannonball08, March 26, 2010, 08:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cannonball08

My garmin came with a map card. When I plug in my garmin it says I need Topo USA to transfer the map. When I try to use mapsettoolkit it says that it must be an  8 digit file name. I change the .img to a 8 digit name but mapsettoolkit does not show it as being and .IMG Any help to this newbie would be appreciated
Thanks

maps4gps

Garmin mapsets on 'pre-recorded' Garmin data cards are locked to the card.  The card may be used on different GPSrs.  It is not possible to use/view the mapset in MapSource, etc.

Boyd

From Garmin's knowledge base:

QuoteQuestion: Should I purchase mapping for my GPS on a disc, pre-programmed datacard, or as downloadable content?

Answer: Mapping for your Garmin GPS unit is sold in a variety of ways. It can be purchased on a disc, as a pre-programmed datacard, or it can be downloaded from our website. Please see below for the benefits of each format:

DVD/CD: Maps purchased in this format will require a computer to use but will allow you to plan trips on your computer and transfer waypoints, routes and tracks to your GPS device. The installation process will install the mapping and the MapSource application to your computer. MapSource can then be used to send maps to either your device or a datacard. Please note that most mapping products in this format are unlocked to a single device and they are non-transferable. City Navigator maps in this format can be updated by purchasing a mapping update, when available.

Pre-programmed datacards: Pre-programmed datacards are immediately ready to use. Simply unpack the card and insert it into your compatible GPS device. These maps do not need to be unlocked to your device which allows you to move the card to multiple units if desired, however you will not have access to the mapping on your computer. City Navigator maps in this format would need to be purchased separately when a new version is released.

Downloadable Content: Maps purchased in this format can be downloaded directly from the Garmin website. This is the quickest method of getting mapping for your next trip. Downloaded maps can be sent to either your GPS unit or a blank datacard. All maps in this format are unlocked to a specific device and they can only be used on the device that they were unlocked to. Similar to the pre-programmed datacards, this mapping is not available on your computer for use in planning routes. City Navigator maps in this format would need to be purchased separately when a new version is released.

Note: Before selecting your purchase option, be sure to review the requirements tab on the individual mapping product page to ensure your device and/or computer will work with the selected format.

Boyd

I just downloaded the new version of BaseCamp and when I connected my Oregon 400t it said it was processing the built-in map (gmapprom.img). This took awhile, but after completed BaseCamp was actually able to display my Oregon's pre-loaded map on my computer. Wow - that's a first and something which I didn't expect. So it may be possible to use the newest version of BaseCamp to display the map on your data card - give it a try.

I got a message saying that copyright restrictions prevented printing the map, and another saying that map re-draw would be affected since it was accessing the map on the GPS using USB.

-Oz-

That is a new feature of basecamp that I think a lot of people will really appreciate.  It does a much better job showing whats currently on your GPS than MapSource ever did.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

It also worked with the pre-loaded City Navigator map on my Nuvi 1350. Basecamp was accessing the map on the device itself over USB, and not on my computer. It was a little sluggish panning and zooming but not too bad, and I was able to calculate routes plus display the waypoints (aka favorites) stored on the Nuvi.

But I am not sure whether it can access the map on a data card. When you first plug the Nuvi in, it grabs the gmapprom.img file (just like my Oregon). It may not do the same thing on a card. On Garmin's forum, another user was not able to view 24k topo maps that he (evidently) purchased via download.