GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Keep Existing Maps

Started by Slade Rummel, March 23, 2010, 06:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slade Rummel

I am new on here and was wondering if there is a way to keep the existing maps on your card or gps when tranfering more maps to it from Map Source?

maps4gps

Depends on which GPSr unit you have - CO, OR & DK - yes.
Depends on which maps are existing.
Depends on which card - generally you can not add to a pre-recorded Garmin map card.

Give us some specific info.

Boyd

What model GPS do you have? The Colorado, Oregon and Dakota allow you to name the map files whatever you like. Older models like the eTrex and GPSMap series will only recognize one map file (GMAPSUPP.IMG).

On the older models, cannot add to maps that are already on the GPS. But do you already have the existing maps in mapsource on your computer? If not, try using the transfer menu to receive the maps from the GPS. This may not work with some products like City Navigator on the Nuvi for example.

If you have all the maps you want in mapsource, you would then select the portions of each map that you want in Mapsource, then send them all together to your GPS on these older models.

On the newer models, if you installed the existing map with mapsource, take a look on the memory card inside the Garmin folder and re-name the file gmapsupp.img to something else, such as oldmap.img. Now connect to mapsource and send the new map. Both will be available after this.

If you bought the maps on a pre-loaded Garmin card, DO NOT try to add anything to this however.

eaparks

Yes, it is possible.  

Whether or not you can still view them will depend on what type of GPS you have.  For instance, the Garmin Oregon, Colorado, and Dakota units allow you to rename the gmapsupp.img file (this is the Mapsource map file) to a name you prefer such as: Topo.img; Streets.img, Slade Rummel.img, etc. as long as the file name does not exceed 20 characters and has the .img extension.  On these units you load 1 map, such as Arizona topo, at a time... rename the loaded map file from gmapsupp.img to Arizona topo.img and repeat the process for all the maps you want to load.  Makes no difference whether it is to the unit's internal memory or to the memory card.

For other Garmin handhelds (as you already know) Mapsource will over-write the gmapsupp.img (the map file) with a new gmapsupp.img file every time you load new maps.  To keep from loosing the existing map file on the the memory card, you can still rename the map file using your PC, PDA, or some phones, you just won't be able to view it on the GPS, but this does keep you from having to completely reload a map you may want again at a later date.  Inorder to swap maps that you want to view when you have changed the name in this manner you would have to use some external device, as mentioned above, to change the map file name back to gmapsupp.img

Slade Rummel

I have the 60CSX. I already have the South Dakota and part of Nebraska Topo loaded. As well as the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks data. I was wondering if i could add a little bit more of the Nebraska Topo without loosing what is already on my card. I started with a blank card.

eaparks

With the 60CSx and with what you are wanting to do you will need to reload all the maps again as Boyd mentioned earlier,
QuoteIf you have all the maps you want in mapsource, you would then select the portions of each map that you want in Mapsource, then send them all together to your GPS on these older models.