GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Buying a gps

Started by Bob A, March 20, 2010, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob A

Not knowing anything about gps units, and who needs to read instructions anyway, I bought a map76. Aftera while I realized I could only load 2 sections of the Ibycus topo at a time. I do a fair bit of canoeing and can not load all the maps I need.
I have done a bit of research which I should have done before, and seem to think the 60cx or 76cx  would be a good choice. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bob

maps4gps

They are about the same technically, but in a different form factor.  The 76 series are also supposed to float, although I have never tried it with mine.  The 60 is an 'upright' unit and can be mounted in an auto; the 76 is a 'horizontal' unit.  If there is a store near you that has both, it would be to your benifit to test (hold) them to see which feels best.  Since a lot of your use would be on the water, I would think the 76 would be better - never know when the ability to float will save you from a lost unit.

Boyd

It sounds like you have the plain "76" model with no letters following the number (such as "csx"). I believe this model has a very tiny internal memory and no way to add more with a card, so that is your main problem.

The 60csx is basically the same unit, as maps4gps has said, but it has a memory card slot for expansion.

I have one, and it is a rugged time-tested performer. But to my eyes, it looks kind of old by today's standards. I don't use mine anymore. I have an Oregon 400t and really like it. I would at least check out the Oregon line before buying one the older models. You can find some nice deals on the Oregon 300. The Oregon 450 is the updated version with a better compass and slightly better screen, but more expensive.

The Oregon series supports Garmin's new features which none of the older units have: Specifically, BirdsEye satellite imagery and Custom Maps. If you get a 60csx I think you may later wish that you had these features. See:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=70144
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthetrail/custommaps

-Oz-

I have a 60csx which is an amazing unit still but recently got a garmin dakota 20 because it has the ability to load the imagery and has a 3-axis compass.  I'm not 100% committed to the new unit because it seems a bit slower to me.

But personally I would go with an Oregon to Dakota as the upgrade because its probably a bit more future-proof at this point. BUT if you can get a 76csx or 60csx with a deal it will still work awesome.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Bob A

Thanks for the input. Yes I have the plain 76. I will compare the Oregon 300 and 60csx side by side. It's about a 2hour drive. The price of the 60 is about $120.00 cheaper than the Oregon, so talking to the sales rep. and holding them will help me decide.
Incidentally,while looking at this site I am very impressed by the quality, tone, and patience expressed in the replys. Once again, thank you.
Bob

-Oz-

Last recommendation; make absolutely sure you get one that can take a memory card. It will help you out a lot with loading maps :)
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

A google search shows the Oregon 300 from $280 and the 60cx from $260 (76cx from $240).

Bob A

Thanks for the pricing tips. I only compared prices so far at one store here in Ontario, Can. I will check the online stores, but sometimes s& h, with possibly duty can add to the price.
Thanks again.
Bob

maps4gps

My point was that the difference in price between the units was much less than the number you mentioned.  Therefore, the difference in unit features/capabilities shuold receive more consideration than the price.  However, you have to compare the prices which are available to you.

Ah! Ibycus topo.  That is his Canada mapset, not the US one.