GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Free ArcGIS 9.1, use or ditch?

Started by PHeller, March 14, 2010, 11:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHeller

I'm a graduating college student adept with the ESRI ArcDesktop suite. No problems with map editing and map creation within the program. ESRI sells their stuff at a premium though, and having access to ArcGIS only lasts as long as an internship or employment.

Luckily I scooped up a free hand-me-down for ArcGIS 9.1 from a college professor.

However, this application is going on 6 years old now and it might not even compare to many freeware GIS programs out there.

Should I even both installing it or just find the latest and greatest shareware for making custom vector maps for my Garmin?

PHeller

I wouldn't have any licensing issues with ArcGIS 9.1.

The licensing issues would be in trying to get the newest versions.

Indrid Cold

Because you aren't the licensee maybe?

PHeller

Well yeah...

my question really wasn't concerning the licensing. It was more about whether ArcGIS 9.1, being an older program, is still relevant among current and short term GPS mapping solutions. I'm highly involved in helping a local Land Trust in mapping its parcels and unique feature, existing trails, etc on those parcels.

I'm just wondering if ArcGIS 9.1 will offer things like Spatial Analyst or other tools that are valuable in these procedures.

I was just turned on to the idea that I might be able to get Student Pricing on ArcGIS 10, which would be rad.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: PHeller on March 17, 2010, 08:22:07 AM
I was just turned on to the idea that I might be able to get Student Pricing on ArcGIS 10, which would be rad.
That would be great for you, you will want v10

-Oz-

spatial analysis does exist in 9.1
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!