GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Rookie map making question

Started by JayMc, March 13, 2010, 05:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayMc

I've read the initial tutorial as to how to make a topo map for my Garmin GPSr(s).  What I'd really like to do is start with the basic topos and add certain trails to them.  I don't want to start from scratch.  Is it even doable?

Boyd

You could make a map that just contains trails and set the background to be transparent. If you get the draw order right (might take some trial and error) it will be overlaid on the topo map. Mapwel is probably the simplest and most user-friendly way to do this, but you have to purchase it: http://mapwel.eu/

Jimbob

It's possible for you to travel the trails you wish to map and record them as routes/tracks, enter them in mapsource for storage/keeping. If you have a topo loaded in your GPSr you can then transfer some/all of these to your GPSr and they will show up over your topo. Your GPSr might be limited to only 20 tracks with a given # of record points. If I understand what you want to do, this would be the easy method. You will of course need to download and install in your GPSr the appropriate topo for your needs. Some very good ones are on this site.

JayMc

I have an Etrex Vista and an Etrex Vista HCx.  I have marked all of the trails/boundaries as tracks.  I would like to make them a part of the topos along with some standard POIs for others who I use these trails with to use.

I use the SE Topo and TN Topo from this site.  Can I get more info on the Mapwel program from someone who's used it?

-Oz-

THe best way is a transparent topo.  GPSMapEdit can help you create them to.  Then you just put your trails and POIs on it and then overlay them over the already existing topos.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!