News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Copyright Question

Started by Seldom, March 13, 2010, 09:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

The site's usage policy states:

"All data uploaded to this system automatically is available to users. Map author's set their own terms and conditions for each map they upload and these will be enforced by GPSFileDepot. "

And the installer gives the copyright to GPSfiledepot.

In light of this, is it a violation of copyright to download and de-compile an IMG you didn't author for use in another map?

I have no plans to do this personally, but I have seen people ask questions where this might be a solution to their problems. 

maps4gps

A mapset is an intellectual creation and therefore, from what I have read, falls under international copyright laws/restrictions.
One can easily have a mapset displayed on the GPSr and add the data they create as an overlay/tansparent map.  If someone wants to do otherwise, they should get the source data (which is in the public domain and freely available) and spend their 10's-100's of hours creating the mapset to their needs.
I believe this website will only help with creating an overlay map and will(has)  'ban' anyone trying to do otherwise.

-Oz-

Yea, maps4gps is correct.  We dissuade people from decompiling GPS maps to tweak them.  I won't go searching if someone does that but if they do it and then sell it or if they decompile Garmin's maps I will do everything I can to hinder them.

Also, the installer has the copyright to GPSFileDepot because its a template; you can change it to whatever you want.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

Thanks.I'm familiar with Creative Commons, but haven't seen the "No Derivative Works" version.  That defines the issue nicely.