GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Using a back up Battery

Started by fallenmikethebike, March 09, 2010, 11:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallenmikethebike

:)Hi There, I had a look in the search area, but found no results, I was looking for information regarding, a Nuvi 550, and running with, Via a lead, a larger capacity battery.
This is to use on a Trail Bike that has no ignition battery, as it's a direct 3 phase supply from the magneto.
It will probably have to be a Garmin lead, as most others, send the unit into charge mode.
Then connected with a quick release system.
This will hopefully allow me to run with a brighter screen for daytime use when the Suns at an awkward angle, like this time of year.
My query is, when the unit is acting as a Sat/Nav in the Van, it runs via the 12v dash board outlet, but the charger is 5volts, so, what voltage battery do people recommend?
I would assume a quick blow 2 amp in line fuse would be a good idea as well?
Thank you for your time.
Regards Mike

alpine

There is a cradle and power cord offered for sale from various places (EBarf and Ram come to mind) for the 5xx series. Just get a 12 volt small battery and mount on the bike somewhere.

Recharge the battery when not out riding.

I use the 500 on my ATV, for riding in the back country of Idaho.

fallenmikethebike

Thanks Alpine, I'll have a look.
Mike

alpine

There are 12 volt batteries the size of 9 volt batteries. They are disposable. Don't know the cost.

Or a small 12 volt rechargeable.

fallenmikethebike

:)The small 12v, rechargeable,via, fuse tipped, cigarette lighter, type lead sounds the favourite.
I'm sure I have some now, disused power tool batteries in a12v Nickel Cadmium format, I could cobble into a working prototype.
Probably, the best thing is to Zip tie, the battery into the Air box, which would be about the driest, most secure location.
The cover of which is held in situ by Dzus, fasteners, so pretty Q.D.
  Mike