GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New computer, No Mapsource disc

Started by AlwaysOnWatch, March 07, 2010, 10:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlwaysOnWatch

So about a month ago my computer got a virus and had to be put down. My new computer has windows 7 and I'd like to start using my GPS again.

I'm unable to locate my mapsource disc. How can I get a copy of mapsource for a computer that hasn't had a mapsource product on it?

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

People have reported issues with Windows 7 and Mapsource. I gather that the new version (6.16.02) may have fixed some of the problems though.

-Oz-

Yes, the beta version (although it has some other bugs) works with windows 7.  I also haven't had as many issues with basecamp as I have mapsource on windows 7.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

Known issues starting to build up:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=6620

Also, users from Canada complain about projection at higher latitudes.

ruger

I do not have a mapsource disk or mapsource on my computer.  The link to download it lets me but will not let me run it.  It also has a warning that say it will not work if I do not already have it. I take it that mapsource is the only way that I can use the topo maps from here is this right.  Does anyone have some info on how to get these maps on my gps. It is a garmin vista  computer has windows xp.
If you have some info for me I would realy appreciate it.  Thank you for your time

onXmaps

heckler

Hi there

I have a mapsource v6.13.7 and am intalling from disk to my vista com. The install shield runs and then nothing.got fed up trying so installed traing center with no issue; however it can't find my eTrex Legend HCx. The warning message says " Some devices were found; however none have the necessary capabilities.".

i downloaded the ANT version...would tha be the issue?

heckler

thanks for that. Just doesn't seem like I can install mapsource on my vista OS. It launches the install shield and then nothing........really frustrating. Any work-around for this? Are there any alternatives to mapsource?

heckler

Yes. Sorry my mistake the version i have is 6.15.7. Yep tried to install as an administrato with the spaste shortcut technique to no avail. Installed without issue on my old xp system.
i am new to this, is BaseCamp an alternative software to MapSource?

heckler

yes. Just downloading it now. For the adventure minded, which I assume is the majority of us, it looks the goods.

Thanks

heckler

Hi

Now have BaseCamp installed and looks great. I assume that it will take all of the exe files found here. Is there any difference in that process to MapSource?

Thank you

-Oz-

There are slight differences but the tutorial on how to load maps on your GPS includes a section for basecamp: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

onXmaps

Quote from: heckler on May 05, 2010, 03:36:48 AM
I assume that it will take all of the exe files found here. Is there any difference in that process to MapSource?

Any exe files from here that you have installed in MapSource will also be installed in BaseCamp, so yes, it will take the same exe files