GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Using GPS on Commercial Airlines

Started by byrond, March 01, 2010, 02:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrond

Last week as I flew from Miami to Portland, Oregon I was surprised when the American Airlines stewardess told me that I was not allowed to use my GPS while the plane was in the air.  I was trying to determine where we were, how fast we were flying and our altitude.  I chose not to debate the issue with the stewardess and put my GPS away.  Has anyone else on this site experienced similar warnings?
Byron

FLHiker

It is listed as one of the prohibited electronic devices aboard the aircraft, in the placard located in the seat pocket in front of you.

Seldom

FLHiker, please post a link.  I can't find anything about GPSrs here:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

or in other specialized pages that link from that page.  At worst, it should be subject to the "turn off during takeoff and landing" prohibitions.

Also check this thread:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=243013

FLHiker

You'll have to check the airline with whom you're going to fly.  Many prohibit their operation once the aircraft doors close.

-Oz-

I've been able to use it and then not able to with the same airline; its seems to be up to the flight crew.

After the hijackings of 9/11 there was discussion that you shouldn't use it because then you know when you want to take over the airplane  by knowing where you are
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

alpine

Quote from: -Oz- on March 01, 2010, 09:34:57 PM
I've been able to use it and then not able to with the same airline; its seems to be up to the flight crew.

After the hijackings of 9/11 there was discussion that you shouldn't use it because then you know when you want to take over the airplane  by knowing where you are

Tactically and strategically a very weak argument. Any planner of an incident will know by minutes after takeoff, where the plane will be. So the precaution is a moot point.

But hey, what do I know?

It's their aircraft, so it's their rules.

So either ask permission or ask forgiveness. Your choice.

-Oz-

A brilliant person wouldn't hijack a plane; its a one way trip.

Either way, some of the planes list them in the little magazines; the last united flight I was on did; I don't remember what it said though.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

byrond

Thanks for all the feedback.  Lots of good info there.  The links were useful as well.  After the stewardess told me that my GPS was prohibited, I looked through the American Airlines magazine and other documents for their list of prohibited items.  As I scanned the list, I did not find a GPS on the list.  So I am beginning to think it is sort of "discretionary" on the part of they flight crew.  I think I will continue to use my GPS until asked to turn it off.
Byron

n2stitch

From this page on AA's website:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/baggage/carryOnAllowance.jsp&anchorEvent=false

Devices that cannot be used onboard include:
Radios - AM, FM, VHF, battery or cord operated TV sets, TV cameras
Electronic games or toys with remote control, except those installed on the aircraft
Cordless computer mouse
Portable Global Positioning System (GPS.)

A simple search for "gps" on their site brought this page up.

Lalita

GeoPaPPy

I found this list of the Airlines that approve the use of GPS and the one's that do not.
http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm  Seems pretty current.

I recently flew on Southwest Airlines and checked their in flight book and sure enough I found that the use of a GPS is approved after take off.    I had an isle seat on a 757 and my Oregon was just not able to lock up enough satellites to give me any information.   ???    I have used it before on a plane while in a window seat and it worked ok, but I guess that there must be to much shielding around and over the center isle seats.   Anyway, it looks like there are not near as many Airlines that won't let us use them.
Where in the World am I?

byrond

Thanks for posting that info.  I followed the link and learned a lot.  I think I will still carry my GPS on most airlines and see what happens.
Byron